Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lead free (copper) bullets

Lead free (copper) bullets

When I have got through my latest batch of Lapua .243 ammunition I am thinking of having the cases reloaded with copper bullets.

I am wondering which ones to go for. I will be using on deer so they will need to be deer legal, might there be a problem getting to 100gr with copper?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I currently use Lapua SP 100gr in a Steyr Classic .243. I know very little about reloading. My interest comes from speaking to a vet regarding the dispersal of lead fragments in a roe carcass he x-rayed.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

It's unclear from your post where you stalk, so it's not easy to comment on the legal permutations. However Barnes don't sell a 100gr copper bullet in 6mm diameter. The way I plan to approach this issue in Scotland is to shoot .308 Win ammunition loaded with 140/150 gr Barnes bullets.

Regards

JCS

John
    I'm currently using 130 grain TTSX for 308 - run them fairly fast (2900 ft/sec) with a big jump to the lands - work well so far.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Bob

It's unclear from your post where you stalk, so it's not easy to comment on the legal permutations. However Barnes don't sell a 100gr copper bullet in 6mm diameter. The way I plan to approach this issue in Scotland is to shoot .308 Win ammunition loaded with 140/150 gr Barnes bullets.

Regards

JCS
    Predominantly England.

I understand that the FC are moving down the lead free route (this information is from someone in Scotland).

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Bob View Post
    When I have got through my latest batch of Lapua .243 ammunition I am thinking of having the cases reloaded with copper bullets.

I am wondering which ones to go for. I will be using on deer so they will need to be deer legal, might there be a problem getting to 100gr with copper?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I currently use Lapua SP 100gr in a Steyr Classic .243. I know very little about reloading. My interest comes from speaking to a vet regarding the dispersal of lead fragments in a roe carcass he x-rayed.

Thanks in advance.
    My present manual lists the 243 up to a 85gn boat tail TX, Barnes tend to perform ballisticaly to the next weight of bullet up, so this will give you 100gn performance. I use them a lot, always in Africa in my 270 and a 130gn TTX has always performed faultlessly for me, I have only shot one animal twice, a blue wildebeest that took a step as I pulled the trigger, then took one thro the shoulders when he stopped 80yds later. The first bullet had gone thro both lungs, but he could have got into thick cover before expiring, so second was only a insurance/stopper to make life easier. You can get some data from the Barnes site, WWW.barnesbullets.com/information/ I have data for you if you want it from other sources. deerwarden
    Last edited by deerwarden; 09-05-2014 at 13:45.

My Grandfather worked at the Chester leadworks, people walking home after work @ the "Deader" looked like they were pissed, due to ingested lead by one means or another, I have not seen a deerstalker who eats what they shoot looking anything like pissed, unless of course they are heavily into Guinness or such like, so I will continue to shoot soft points., some of the thinking on copper solids have come full circle, even in Germany.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I believe the FC ran a trial on lead free ammunition, however never implemented it.
    I think the jury is still out debating it's effectiveness. . .

Like many things it tends to be the FC which leads the way and the rest eventually
    follow. . . If it does eventually get the go ahead it could lead to a glut of .243's sitting on the dealer's shelves, as I understand many will fail to stabilize the all copper bullets.

Maybe this is one to put back on the shelf for now and just have them reloaded with Lapua heads.

A bloke who had been involved in using them on FC land told me that when they started they were using similar bullet weights in copper to the old lead bullets. They had a lot of runners until they reduced the weight. I recall him saying they were using 110 gr in copper and it stopped everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadex View Post
    I believe the FC ran a trial on lead free ammunition, however never implemented it.
    I think the jury is still out debating it's effectiveness. . .

Like many things it tends to be the FC which leads the way and the rest eventually
    follow. . . If it does eventually get the go ahead it could lead to a glut of .243's sitting on the dealer's shelves, as I understand many will fail to stabilize the all copper bullets.
    The FC did TRIAL lead free but have no plans whatsoever to implement a ban. Europe is the danger here.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by long_range_rob View Post
    The FC did TRIAL lead free but have no plans whatsoever to implement a ban. Europe is the danger here.
    I agree, European meddling could sign the death knell, let's bloody well hope not.