Swarovski range finder warning

1kevb

I have just bought a swarovski r/f from another member on here.When delivered today it doesn't work. If you put the battery in then it works ok but after 20 seconds when it goes in standby it won't switch back on again ! I have spoke to Swarovski uk & they tell me that it is a 2005 model & that the warranty on the electrical side of the device is only covered by a 2 year warranty. I feel sure that the other member will refund me the £425 that i paid for it & this thread is not directed at him but the Swarovski warranty on their range finders.£2k + & no good after 2 years !!!!

I have just bought a swarovski r/f from another member on here.When delivered today it doesn't work. If you put the battery in then it works ok but after 20 seconds when it goes in standby it won't switch back on again ! I have spoke to Swarovski uk & they tell me that it is a 2005 model & that the warranty on the electrical side of the device is only covered by a 2 year warranty. I feel sure that the other member will refund me the £425 that i paid for it & this thread is not directed at him but the Swarovski warranty on their range finders.£2k + & no good after 2 years !!!!
Very shocked by this, always thought you got a better level of customer service from Swarovski (and would be expecting good service after investing in products in their price range).

Yeah i just recently bought the 8x42 rangefinders and the shop assistnat told me they had the full 10 year swaro warranty then went on to say the electronics only have a 2 year warranty and at 2k i thought that was a bit rubbish!!! hopefully wont have to find out the cost to repair electrics any time soon!!

That's just crap. I'd call them back. I've had problems with them (Swaro) in the past but at the same time have had some excellent customer service from them too.

But Leica is only 2 years on the electrics as well.
I want a set of the Swarovski RF but after trying them side by side against Zeiss I preferred the Zeiss.
In the end I have stayed with my Leica, not as good but it is bought and paid for, and works ok.

Neil. :)

It's the same, and why I stayed with my Leica, when it stoops working I will have the Zeiss.
Side by side the Zeiss constantly found and ranged things the swaro just could not 'see'

Read the small print, the longest warranty I've seen on electronics in optics is 3 years. This was the reason I didn't buy RF binos

PS, Hornet 6, I have the Zeiss PRF, very good rangefinder

PS, Hornet 6, I have the Zeiss PRF, very good rangefinder

Funny but true.
Midland game fair 3 years ago I first tried the Zeiss and Swarovski range finders, both seemed very good.
But I could not see the same things from each stand so could not do a direct comparison, but did think the Zeiss was easier to get a reading from.
One year later, and with cash in pocket I again looked at both, Zeiss first, again I was impressed, next the Swarovski, again good but still not convinced.
So I asked the bloke on the stand if I could borrow them against my FAC to try them against the Zeiss, no deal.
Back off to the Zeiss stand I went and asked the same question, answer can't do that mate, but you can just borrow them for half an hour.
Took them back the Swarovski stand, the bloke was a bit surprised to see me, and asked why I had bought Zeiss, I explained I had borrowed them to compare
from the Zeiss stand as they were confident theirs were better, no chance says Mr Swarovski, but he was so wrong, the Zeiss was pinging a toilet tent in a field 900 yards away, first time every time, the Swarovski couldn't do it reliably, the Swarovski also failed on a pigeon in a tree top at 1030 yards, didn't even get the tree, the Zeiss got either the pigeon or the wispy tree top every time.
I only didn't buy the Zeiss because I then discovered the two year warranty was all you got, but as I said should my old Leica RF pack up I will buy the Zeiss PRF

Funny but true.
Midland game fair 3 years ago I first tried the Zeiss and Swarovski range finders, both seemed very good.
But I could not see the same things from each stand so could not do a direct comparison, but did think the Zeiss was easier to get a reading from.
One year later, and with cash in pocket I again looked at both, Zeiss first, again I was impressed, next the Swarovski, again good but still not convinced.
So I asked the bloke on the stand if I could borrow them against my FAC to try them against the Zeiss, no deal.
Back off to the Zeiss stand I went and asked the same question, answer can't do that mate, but you can just borrow them for half an hour.
Took them back the Swarovski stand, the bloke was a bit surprised to see me, and asked why I had bought Zeiss, I explained I had borrowed them to compare
from the Zeiss stand as they were confident theirs were better, no chance says Mr Swarovski, but he was so wrong, the Zeiss was pinging a toilet tent in a field 900 yards away, first time every time, the Swarovski couldn't do it reliably, the Swarovski also failed on a pigeon in a tree top at 1030 yards, didn't even get the tree, the Zeiss got either the pigeon or the wispy tree top every time.
I only didn't buy the Zeiss because I then discovered the two year warranty was all you got, but as I said should my old Leica RF pack up I will buy the Zeiss PRF

I have found Zeiss to be nothing but helpful on all occasions I've used them. Can't stand Swaro company policy and think that their produ0cts are very overated and overpriced, especially compared to Zeiss and Kahles.

Kind regards, Olaf

I haven't any rangefinders but I have Swarovski binos ,I have tried a SD members brand new leica rangefinders that even had a ballistic calculator wowsers they were ORSOME .on a side note I did find Swarovski very good when I needed eye caps a new decal Ect ... No charge not even postage .
cheers
Ps I've kahles binos too yet to need thier warrenty !

Last edited:
My swaro 8x32 el's went back under warranty , superb service.

i use a Leica CRF 1600 rangefinder , no issues at all , it must be years old now as I brought it when they first came out ?

I can understand the idea behind a limited warrantee on electronics and its just one of those things if it fails outside the warrantee youve got an expensive paperweight but im sure all the top names will repair for you obviously for a price

ive got a swarovski scope thats been back to them for a service and repair no issues or problems

ive also go a pair of leica RF bins i had no intention of buying leica not for any bad reason mind but it just happened due to a good price it did concern me regards repairs as theres a few leica horror story's about but since then ive heard fantastic service from them so who knows ive not as yet had to use there services so i cannot comment

i think to a degree we have to be prepared to pay for certain repairs out of warrantee
aslong as the customer service is fantastic this makes a big difference

I wonder how this will affect rangefinders in valuation when coming to sell them.
Even if I had 2k spare I wouldn't swap with my slc's due to this reason. Time to improve skills in yardage estimations.

Saying that I spoke to swarovski as one of my eye pieaces was broke. With un 48 hours I received two in the post with a letter saying keep one as a spare.

Back