Thread: What if I move to France or Spain?

What if I move to France or Spain?

Dont know if its been done already but If I were to move to say France or Spain to live and work how would I keep my rifles? I would plan to hunt whilst out there of course.

Hi
    I went to Asia for initially 3 years and stayed for 20 years. The choices I had were today an RFD to store them or sell them. You have to be resident in the UK to have a UK FAC.
    regards
    Norm

Hi Mate i was out in Spain for a while you can get a European pass , but if you wanted to hunt you had to sit a test before you could embark on hunting,that was a few years ago it might have changed know good luck

But I can live and work anywere within the EU? Just wondering how would it work if I wanted to move and keep my guns? Or is it because Im a UK citizen that im in no mans land?

If you lived in France and wanted to hunt you would have to get a Permis du Chasse (hunting licence) that is issued by the regional hunting association (think BASC). In order to get one of these you would have to attend a course and sit the hunting exam. If you wanted to target shoot you would need to join a club and obtain a Permis du Tir which is issued by the local Prefect or police (I can't remember which). The two are totally separate systems unlike our FACs in this country.
    I believe that there is also a hunting exam to pass in Spain but I am not sure.

P.S. Please excuse my poor French.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I have family living in France and some of their friends (English) have just done the Chasse exam.

Its like DSC1 multi choice but in French! no English version.
    believe there is a practical safety test too

all online

http://www.chasseurdefrance.com/imag...ERMIS_2014.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by multiman View Post
    But I can live and work anywere within the EU? Just wondering how would it work if I wanted to move and keep my guns? Or is it because Im a UK citizen that im in no mans land?
    You can indeed just move and start working anywhere you like in the EU tomorrow if you want to, it's one of the beauties of the thing. But whereas the EFP allows you to take your guns from one country to another, firearms law is in the remit of member states. Which is why the UK for instance insists on additional visitors' firearms passes on top if the EFP. But either way, the EFP is just for transit and short visits. After that, if you're going to stay, you need to comply with the various national legislations.

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    I have family living in France and some of their friends (English) have just done the Chasse exam.

Its like DSC1 multi choice but in French! no English version.
    believe there is a practical safety test too

all online

http://www.chasseurdefrance.com/imag...ERMIS_2014.pdf
    Yes, there are 21 questions, and you have to answer 16 correctly. Answering certain questions wrong (essentially the ones about safety) causes an immediate fail. It's along the same lines as the driving theory test. You also need to attend a few days of mixed classroom and practical training, similar indeed to DSC1, organised by your local hunting federation. At the end of which there is a practical exam, with clay and rifle shooting, crossing obstacles safely, that sort of thing. It's not hard, you just need to line up the paperwork and a few cheques.

Whilst not France or Spain, when i moved here to Sweden i got a dispensation from Naturvårdsverket to have my guns and hunt for 18 months. By the end of the 18 months i must have passed my jägare exam. The Swedish hunting Exam was only in Swedish. About 9 months of evening classes and rifle,shotgun and running moose range plus safe handling.