thinking about a rifle in 284 win

can anybody enlighten me about this round ie meat damage

willbe used for eveything from fox to reds
    also if i have time maybe some target shooting

http://www.border-barrels.com/custom_rifles/1365-r.jpg

cheers

steve

Steve,

I too am interested inbuilding something in this cartridge, it looks great from the numbers. Most of the 7mm's seem to be ok on meat damage, after that I expect its down to how hard you choose to push the bullet....

I asked a similar question ages ago but no response. However,, have a look at 6mmbr, there is a review on an F class range gun that a gun shot a big score with (I think it was the highest last year or something similar) and later on the the guns of the week page there is an article by a guy who built one for field and target use. It looks good. Have a read.

Only thing he was saying that could cause difficulties was that in a short action the maximum OAL was limited but the mag length with heavier 7mm bullets.

See what you think, I'm taken with it.

W

The 284 win is the younger US cousin of the 7x64 Brenneke. Nice flat shooting rifle very popular in Europe. Meat damage minimal with sensible velocities.

Mark

MarkH: Agreed. Abot the same amount of punch. The difference with the 284 is that the standard throating is shorter as the original rifles were Winchester Lever Action and Auto Loading rifles and magazine length was an issue. If you plan on building a bolt gun, have the gunsmith order the reamer ground without the throat, then throat to you bullet choices.

Had one. It shot great.~Muir.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkH
    The 284 win is the younger US cousin of the 7x64 Brenneke. Nice flat shooting rifle very popular in Europe. Meat damage minimal with sensible velocities.

Mark
    According to the Hornady reloading book, "the 284 win is a 7mm cartridge designed to approximate the 270 win performance yet function through Winchesters short action model 88 and model 100 rifles.

It is the 280 remington that is similar to the 7x64 Brenneke.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/7x64_Brenneke.htm

ft

Sorry Guys.

My mistake it is the 280 Remington that is similar to the 7x64 Dohhhh. I think I will stay metric from here on in.

Chuck Hawkes website is a great source of info - very practical.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MarkH
    I think I will stay metric from here on in.
    Mark
    Why should you be the only one who isn't confused

ft

SD Regular
    My mistake it is the 280 Remington that is similar to the 7x64

No! The 280 is better than the 7x64!

Any of these, 280, 7x64, 284 are pretty much the same as the 270 in terms of what they can do.

The advantage that the 280 and 7x64 have over the 270 (if it is a consideration) is that both will handle 165 and 175 grain bullets. Now whilst the 270 can do that as well and Speer did make a 277" 170 grain bullet you can't get that sort of weight now cheaply.

284 whilst also like the 280 and 7x64 does also use 284" bullets....but...it can have "issues" about overall loaded round length. And this may therefore cause you problems if you want to use the heavier weights.

It probably isn't that much more in practical performance much better than the 7mm-08. Say 200fps faster. American Forum posts talk of "issues" with poor brass quality with the 284. That might be something to consider if it is true and to what degree.

If it is a nice rifle then buy it. It was designed for the Winchester 88 Lever Action where it excels...except that Winchester also chambered that same rifle in 308. And, even if military calibre restrictions are not an issue I know which I would have...the 284!

But only to be different!

Hi Enfieldspares

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares

Please clarify

I have use the reload data on the 280 rem in the past for the 7x64 with success. Also its far easier to buy 7x64 ammunition in a French/German hunting shop than 280 Rem

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares

and the 280 AI is even better