Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AT LAST IT ALL CAME GOOD.

AT LAST IT ALL CAME GOOD.

Yesterday started with getting into bed @ 6am with the intention of getting up about midday & then going stalking.
    Well that didn't happen, little girl waking up,phone ringing,alarm going off,phone call, little girl, little girl lost her school bag. So I got up at 08.45hrs, to a lovely sunny morning.
    So sorted out the dogs drunk a few cups of coffee & decided to go early, so after an hours drive in the old landy I arrived at my shoot
    I drove down the track that seperates the small wood. I can shoot on the right but not the left & previously the deer have always been on the left bit, but today there was about 8 about 80 yards to the right, level with the gate. Luck was on my side, the gate was open so I didn't have to get out & mess around with the padlock.I drove down to the buildings & sorted my kit out before slowly walking back to the area. I crept past the gate & YES they were still there. I came to a small clearing & took up a postion next to a large tree, I could still see them but there was some undergrowth in between & didn't have a clear shot. I stood for a while & worked out my safety angles & yes if they moved slightly I would have a oppertunity through a small clearing, with no twigs in the way.
    It was now that I noticed how quickly my heart was pounding away, so calmed myself down. Then they moved slightly & I had a clear shot broadside at about 80 metres, I placed the cross hairs on a doe & slipped the safety off & squeezed the trigger. Bang thump & she dropped, the others in the group erupted & charged through the wood towards me. A pricket stopped about 40 metres in front of me, I had already reloaded another round & I had the chance of a second safe shot broadside. I can't actually remember thinking about aiming but I took the shot & the beast jumped into the air with all 4 feet of the ground & dropped on the spot. I reloaded another round & ducked behind the tree as a deer flew past at head heigth. I could of had the chance at another, but decided against it.
    I checked both beasts were dead & made my rifle safe & then started my first attempts at grollocking my deer. I have watched my friend a few times & watched the BDS video numerous times. I have decided it is like watching snooker on the telly,. they make it look so easy. However I don't think I did too bad for my first attempts, everthing came out intact & the carcass seemed fairly clean.
    The shot in the doe had struck the heart but had also caused what looked like a lot of damage to the lungs, they were really mashed up.
    The shot on the pricket had also hit the heart but ther was a lot less damage to the lungs.
    What a day finally my first two solo deer of my own small piece of land, (no stray dog walkers as per previous postings) what a feeling I was singing to myself all the way home( the landy hasn't got a radio).
    I did learn a few bits though, like don't put your knife down as I stuggled to find it a few times.
    Take a few layers of clothing off before you start dragging your deer about.
    Take something to wash your hands with & a camera to record the moment, although I know I will never forget it.

Also a couple of quick questions ??
    Why the difference in damage to the lungs.
    Was the reaction to shot of the second deer normal & also the reaction of the other deer running in the direction of the shot?

Rifle used remmy 700 T8 ar moderator using 100 gn remington Corelokt factory ammo.
    Sorry if I have bored all of you, but I have to tell someone who would understand this feeling.

Re: AT LAST IT ALL CAME GOOD.

Firstly welldone good account and well done on grassing two in seconds i will do my best to answer

Quote Originally Posted by needsy
    Also a couple of quick questions ??
    Why the difference in damage to the lungs.
    the lungs are full of air basically like a big balloon only takes a small nick to burst it and make it look like catastrophic damage
    Was the reaction to shot of the second deer normal & also the reaction of the other deer running in the direction of the shot? yes

Rifle used remmy 700 T8 ar moderator using 100 gn remington Corelokt factory ammo.
    Sorry if I have bored all of you, but I have to tell someone who would understand this feeling.

Well done
    They often jump with all 4 feet off the ground after a good heart shot.

Greg

Congratulations - the first deer you stalk, shoot and extract all on your own, on your own ground, is a brilliant feeling. When it was me, I seem to recall it was the first time I actually felt like a deer stalker instead of a stalker's assistant. No wonder you were singing!

The difference in damage is likely to be a simple matter of range and placement - sounds like the first bullet expanded slightly more due to longer range, had a wider wound channel and had a slightly lower placement, hence the heart/lung damage. The second bullet was going slightly faster due to short range, expanded less with a narrower wound channel and was slightly higher placed, hence the heart only damage.

Fallow - the deer I shoot most often - frequently react to a solid heart shot in the way you describe, often pirouetting 180 degrees as well.

The remaining deers' reaction was probably due to the fact that it's actually quite difficult to tell where a shot is coming from in woodland, and as your stalking was good enough for you to be undetected, the deer had no reason to know which direction was safe and which wasn't.

Good result - well done.

Adam.

Re: AT LAST IT ALL CAME GOOD.

Quote Originally Posted by needsy
    Take something to wash your hands with & a camera to record the moment, although I know I will never forget it.
    Ah yes, antibacterial wipes for your hands and your knife

Well done BTW, I've still to pop my solo cherry yet.

first deer

hi needsy well done on your first deer a good write up you need to take disposable gloves and i always carry a couple gallon clean water and a bowl soap and atowel
    atb tom

Congratulations indeed .

If you get yourself a biggish plastic water container and make up a harness/braket you can hang it on the Bumper, nudge bar or somewhere else handy on the vehicle then you can use it as a tap to wash your hands without getting it everywhere providing you remember to to hook it up before you do the gralloch

Not my idea but the guy i first staled with had a camping container with tap he hung on his Suzikis nudge bar for washing the blood off and I thought ......... "neat!" and filed it away for further reference.

well done chap

ive often had deer run towards me when another from a group has been hit. ive heard people say that if the deer you shoot is behind the other deer then the strike noise spooks them towards you. im not so sure but ive certainly had it happen and its a bonus when it does as you have found out.

Well done on that .. sounds like a cracking start to the year for you 8)

If you think thats exciting wait till one runs !

I don't bother with carrying water ! To heavy !!

latex gloves and unscented baby wipes 1 for 100 . light, moist, and that cheap you can use loads .

ATB

splash