Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you could change the licensing system

If you could change the licensing system

After reading about the Green party tree huggers proposals for firearms law. If the government were to ask the shooters for ideas to radicalise the licensing system what would you suggest?
    I would start with a 10 year license at least.

swap a say 243 for a new 243 with no one for one as same calibre

make moderaters non licence item its only a lump of metal

Id have a credit card sized fac for a start , if you have an open license then you should be able to buy anything sect 1 on the day without verifications/applications , maybe a quantity limit of 10 guns unless you have good reason for more.

I think the Banded system they were going to introduce in NI was a good idea. ie Band A all air weapons, Band B all Rimfires, Band C all small centerfires etc etc. If you wanted to do a variation you could do so within your Band doing a one on one off in the shop, but if you want something outside your band you had to put in for a variation.

Quote Originally Posted by easypeasy View Post
    After reading about the Green party tree huggers proposals for firearms law. If the government were to ask the shooters for ideas to radicalise the licensing system what would you suggest?
    I would start with a 10 year license at least.
    Move everything that is currently S1 to S2. Get rid of a load of unnecessary hassle and paper work that adds inconvenience to the shooting public and wastes vast amounts of police time and resources administering.

ATB,

Scrummy

Take licensing away from the police and place into hands of a National Firearms Licensing Authority, with a board of governors made up from the industry and home office.

Automatic right of appeal.

10 year licenses with photo card. The card is the licence, the paper the certificate.

Licence holders permitted to carry a knife as a tool and not subject to arbitrary interference by plod.

Quote Originally Posted by scrumbag View Post
    Move everything that is currently S1 to S2. Get rid of a load of unnecessary hassle and paper work that adds inconvenience to the shooting public and wastes vast amounts of police time and resources administering.

ATB,

Scrummy
    I totally agree with that one.

atb Tim

one single card for standard license whether shotgun or rifle, 10 year renewal with up to 6 guns per standard license. Upward of 6 you need 'good reason' to increase the numbers of guns you hold.

Bossed it

ps no 'ammo' allowances, limits or stupid conditions past standard legislation

All of the previously mentioned changes plus-

1. Bring back pistols for target shooting.
    2. Remove all the silly restrictions on posting expanding bullets.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I don't see any need on an upper limit.

I would not support everything being section 2 - so any licensed individual could buy any gun.

I would be supportive of 'groups' of section 1; FAC air & rimfire, fox and small vermin, deer & boar, dangerous game. I do think it should be mandatory on the individual to prove experience before being allowed to shoot alone. Whether that experience comes from courses (DSC 1&2) or practical field experience. I think the police's remit should be widened to include an assessment of field experience or an assessment of shooting qualifications. Guidance could easily be drawn up of what is required.

Once you had the group on your FAC you could buy and sell as many rifles as you can safely store in that category.

I'd argue that a centrefire rifle is vastly more dangerous than a shotgun. Not sure it would be in anyone's best interest an 18 year old with a crisp new SGC/FAC going out and buying a 50 cal!

I can't see any benefit on ammunition restrictions - If I go mad an do a shooting spree with the 300 CF rounds is that going to make me less infamous than if I could buy 2000?

I'd tighten up the requirements for a grant and make a medical report compulsory. If in doubt a full psychological assessment. I'd have zero tollerance to previous criminal history.

I'm sure we all know people with guns who perhaps aren't suitable individuals, but there is nothing anyone can do about it.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.