Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BASC Council Elections

BASC Council Elections

A lot of SD members will be BASC members and will be aware that the BASC Council elections are coming up shortly.

One of the candidates is Martyn Jones, the former Labour MP for Clwyd South, who when in Parliament voted strongly to ban hunting.

Here's a nice quote from Mr. Jones (2008);

Any move to reopen the issue of fox hunting is utterly ridiculous. The Act was only passed into law in 2005 and was widely debated. It is an act which signalled the end to a cruel and outmoded form of upper class enjoyment."

Leaving aside any particular views on hunting with hounds, it does rather suggest that Mr. Jones is not afraid to use the class based rhetoric so beloved of shooting's opponents. He must get on well with George Monbiot!

I would urge any BASC members who think that Mr. Jones' views on hunting make him an unacceptable candidate to use their vote wisely and to make sure that their fellow BASC members know of Mr. Jones' stance.

You can vote online here by the way...
    Last edited by Tom_Ov; 10-05-2014 at 21:15.

I think he also voted to ban pistols both big and the later .22 ban.

David.

We should all vote for him he'll fit in quite well with the rest of the halfwits who've just voted or agreed to greylag geese and mallard going on general licences.
    Better to have failed again than to have lifted someones leg

Quote Originally Posted by snowy View Post
    We should all vote for him he'll fit in quite well with the rest of the halfwits who've just voted or agreed to greylag geese and mallard going on general licences.
    When is that going to happen?
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    When is that going to happen?

Its a proposal at the moment.
    Personally providing the GL is adhered to I cant see it being a problem.

Greylags will be allowed to be shot
    Mallard only their nests disturbed - all of course with the usual caveats of the GL

from his presentation on the voting page

As one of the handful of MPs who refused to vote for the firearms restrictions following both the Hungerford and Dunblane tragedies, I know very well indeed the huge pressures there are to €˜do something' engendered by the press and the media, encouraged by the antis, and believe BASC has been one of the most effective engines against damaging and unnecessary legislation. I would like the opportunity to help BASC,

hardly seems the stance of an avid anti shooter? or is he just anti hunting? genuine question I would like to know?
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    from his presentation on the voting page

As one of the handful of MPs who refused to vote for the firearms restrictions following both the Hungerford and Dunblane tragedies, I know very well indeed the huge pressures there are to €˜do something' engendered by the press and the media, encouraged by the antis, and believe BASC has been one of the most effective engines against damaging and unnecessary legislation. I would like the opportunity to help BASC,

hardly seems the stance of an avid anti shooter? or is he just anti hunting? genuine question I would like to know?
    He is a clay / target shooter primarily I believe - he is or has been a Vice Chair of the British Shooting Sports Council.

He did come out with a good quote about a possible repeal of the hunting ban in 2008, i seen it on another forum but dunno how to move it over.

Think it mentioned upper class toff's chasing/killing animals for fun thou or words to that effect. Sure someone else could mibee move it over.
    Only been a Basc member for 1 year. Not a person i would wanting voting on the future of my sport

I am amazed Basc have not objected to the GL inclusion off Greylags and mallard, generally only 30-50 Special Licences granted each year and none turned down.
    Seemingly to cut red tape for NE yet something like 500 SL to control Cormorants are granted, can't see them being included in GL.

All very strange most liceces are for egg ricking so more likely to be carried out by the conservation charities (WWT or RSPB) some wildfowling clubs have breeding and release programmes for greylags and many trying to encourage mallard breeding with various things. Both amber listed birds

Another former MP searching for the next gravy train?

Discuss.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

I shot Pheasants with him about 8-9 years ago a nice enough guy, but I would not vote for him because of his stance against hunting even though I do not hunt.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY