Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bullistics madness (misspelt on perpose)

Bullistics madness (misspelt on perpose)

Ok so I cannot spell but at least I shoot deer and kill them. last week i went up to bonnie land to help cull a few reds.I go to same place twice a year at least descussion started about guys i sent up last year they wounded and lost hinds the stalkers was livid so I will not send anyone else. these people told me they have shot deer, foxes etc for years. So why did they Cock up!!
    bullistics talk etc
    Anyone has a duty to learn to trust and use their rifle accuratly but they get their heads full of trejectoy rise and fall etc.
    Most deer rifles shoot better than you can hold them and +or - a couple of inches at stalking ranges.
    No stalker worth his salt would ask a guest to shoot at more than 200yards
    a correctly zeroed rifle needs no aiming off at this range.
    MY advice anyone who is not a regular rifle user is put the cross in the right place every time and hold the rifle still.refuse a shot if you cannot hold steady.forget all you read about bullisics.trust your equipment.
    the rest is for target shooters and for very experianced shooters who have to mop up mistakes
    I have shot rifles for 40plus years but I trust my equipment and am comfortable using it.
    What do other experianced shots think is good advise for the new starters and occasional user.

My advice to them would be to take no notice of the self proclaimed experts..

Make sure you respect your quarries and it is deerstalking in the site name not long range deer shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Deerstalker2010
    Make sure you respect your quarries and it is deerstalking in the site name not long range deer shooting.

+1 simple as that 8)

Quote Originally Posted by dlz90
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerstalker2010

+1 simple as that 8)
    and +1

So does this mean we are going to lose the ballistics page then? 8)

Hi roedeerred

I agree with some of what you say but these are my own thoughts..

Im guessing the responsability for these guys cocking up and wounding deer was the fact the guide/stalker did not have these fellas prove zero..

Were the guys asked at what range theyre rifles were zeroed at etc

I also disagree as many on here love reloading their own..

They also love to spend and enjoy many hours on ranges etc to perfect the said load.. Giving them an unrivalled trust in their equipment

How can anybody critisize a man that has taken the time and effort perfecting this knowledge and skill and undoubtedly knows his ability out to ranges others may find extreme or uncomfortable for them personally..

Im personally not a fan of long shots on live quarry but equally i cant critisize a man that whose knowledge and ability with his load means he has a extra 100 yards on me

Shame a couple of nob heds dropped you in it mate

ATB

Terry

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    roedeered

What is good advice for the new starter:

1. know your safety
    2. know your quarry
    3. know your rifle
    4. know that you never know all you need to know

I'm sorry (particularly for the deer) that the guys you sent up last year messed up, and I can't dispute much in your comments, but regarding your sentence:

No stalker worth his salt would ask a guest to shoot at more than 200yards
    I'd express it differently:

No stalker worth his salt would ask a guest to shoot beyond his capabilities
    The onus is on the guest and the stalker to know what the guest is capable of. I've stalked on the same estate in Scotland for the last 15 years, but every year the stalker asks me to check zero my rifle - and quite right to!

willie_gunn

As a relative beginner can I add that it can be difficult for the beginner to get experience at various ranges or in various field expedient shooting positions. Most target shooting is done prone and many clubs only have a 100 yard range or similar. I found shooting at 300 yards a most enlightening experience and all I can say is that based on that experience I refuse all shots over 200 yards, give or take a few yards. However, I think it is still useful for me to know that I'm zeroed at 200 and that I will be nearly 3 inches high at 100, I'm probably dead on again at about 50.

I sat in a ride tonight about 200 yards from the end of the ride watching. When the deer did walk out it was 15 yards from me and never presented a shot. More to the point I couldn't move into position as the slighest movement would have had her running. She did look at me a few times but never quite worked me out, I had made some effort at concealment, but then the wind gave a swirl over my shoulder and the nose went up in the air and off she went with a yelp. All the time I was glad I knew that if I could get a shot it would be a fraction low because my scope sits above my bore. It was also good to know that if the deer walked out at the end of the ride I'd be dead on but if it was in the middle then I'd be about 3 inches high. I really feel that knowledge is useful, important and adds to confidence.

All your comments are good what I can not get my head round is that on paper these guys shot well one even shot a fox the evening before at over 100yds in the lamp then misses a red at 50 and wounds others is this a case of extreem "buck fever".IF the rifle cannot control it I am sure the stalker cannot. OR is it a case of reading too mutch in shooting mags about range and bullet drop. I totally agree respect your quarry and Know your limitations live quarry shooting is no place for people who cannot control their nerves. If I were shaking I would not shoot.
    Buy the way I am not a good paper puncher.