Thread: Fox came calling, in broad daylight

Fox came calling, in broad daylight

I live on a very green housing estate that was laid down in 1900. There is plenty of cover for foxes and I know that about 100 yards away (at the back of the Post Office) is a den. So no surprise to see a fox, after dark that is. Yesterday, I went to the kitchen about 8:30pm - when it was still broad daylight - and there was this fellow sitting in my meadow, I mean, on my lawn. Photographed through my grubby kitchen window.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1731.jpg  

Prime candidate for a .22 rimmy there!

They are very cheeky, the other year one swine got in my run, decapitated all of my chickens, took one and was sat eating it in my back garden at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon!
    Cheers Ted.

SACS Member. DSC 1.

Probably feeding cubs, I wouldn't say it's too unusual to see them in the day at this time of year.
    It would be better if it was dead though!

I have one that has taken a few of my chickens during the late evening and it has cubs in the wood at the back if it crosses the lane and takes the pheasant it will get flattened but as long as he sticks to the chickens around the yard he is ok i class it as he is shopping for the family and as the chickens **** every where any that are not in the trees by the time he comes around deserve eating so if they cause a problem shoot them if not let them be i have shot a lot over the years and there isn't as many about now

if the op has no chickens or other small animals to worry about what is the need for killing it? dont get me wrong i shoot about 80 foxes a year but this, the only good fox is a dead fox attitude is daft, if it causes a problem then deal with it, but if it is causing no harm then what is the need to kill it? seems to be some verry blood thirsty people on this site recentley. i thaught stalking was about enjoying the outside and he wildlife not shooting everything in site.

[QUOTE=Tomm;786213]if the op has no chickens or other small animals to worry about what is the need for killing it? dont get me wrong i shoot about 80 foxes a year but this, the only good fox is a dead fox attitude is daft, if it causes a problem then deal with it, but if it is causing no harm then what is the need to kill it? QUOTE]

+1. Having just read Mike Powells book I totally agree.

Established Poster
    [QUOTE=Border;790365]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomm View Post
    if the op has no chickens or other small animals to worry about what is the need for killing it? dont get me wrong i shoot about 80 foxes a year but this, the only good fox is a dead fox attitude is daft, if it causes a problem then deal with it, but if it is causing no harm then what is the need to kill it? QUOTE]

+1. Having just read Mike Powells book I totally agree.

I agree too.

When we are around at home, we let our hens out of the pen but last weekend we lost 4, so I figured this fox would have to go. I baited the 5 foot treddle fox cage with three of the carcasses and the one furthest in I tied a piece of string from the treddle to the chicken's leg and set the trap. The first 5 days he ignored them. Then he too the carcass in the doorway. A couple of days later he took the one in the middle of the cage. I was sure I would get him. The next morning the remaining carcass was gone! He had bitten through the string holding the chicken's leg to the treddle. I can't believe how clever and bold he is. The trap is still re-set, but with food behind the treddle in the normal way but he hasn't come back.

He looks in good condition, obviously well fed!