Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hornet help

hornet help

hi everyone , i am about to get a .22 hornet and i have been running some diferant loads through sierras infinity program. one thing with i have noticed is that when pushed at hornet velocities standard .224 bullets of the same weight such as blitzkings shoot much flatter at longer ranges than .224 heads that have been desighned for use in a hornet.i know this is down to a much better bc but what i want to know is can i still expect good accuracy from standerd .224 heads such blitzkings when fired out of a hornet or do i have to use hornet specific heads? thanks a lot , connor

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Hi MK

IMO: you should get very similar results with most bullets you reload, as ammo is made to a high standard you will find (if you try loads of makes) that your rifle will like one or two brands and they may shoot/perform better than other.

i wish you well in the search for the right bullet, it can be fun but also frustrating....but when it works out its a great feeling

regards

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by minikeeper View Post
    hi everyone , i am about to get a .22 hornet and i have been running some diferant loads through sierras infinity program. one thing with i have noticed is that when pushed at hornet velocities standard .224 bullets of the same weight such as blitzkings shoot much flatter at longer ranges than .224 heads that have been desighned for use in a hornet.i know this is down to a much better bc but what i want to know is can i still expect good accuracy from standerd .224 heads such blitzkings when fired out of a hornet or do i have to use hornet specific heads? thanks a lot , connor
    The issue is length. Almost all Hornets are of a 1-16" twist. At some speeds, the longer bullets will have a harder time stabilizing in that slow twist. An additional item is over-all length when loaded. If you buy a CZ, for instance, (and you should if you want a truly accurate Hornet) you will be limited to 1.730" -ish for over-all loaded length with out some sever magazine surgery. That said, you can load anything single shot.

Lastly, if you're worried about drop, you should probably find a .222 or something of that ilk. As someone who shoots Hornet year round, over very wide open country, I can tell you that the drop is easy to learn, it's the wind that rips you a new one. It takes practice to shoot a Hornet in the wind. FWIW, I sight in a 34 grain HP 1.5" high at 100 and I'm dead on at 175 or so.** I shoot prairiedogs which are a small target, but I do well with the Hornet.~Muir

** The 40 grain V-Max shoots much flatter but I like the magazine loading option the V-Max doesn't allow.
    Last edited by Muir; 11-05-2014 at 13:58.

hi , thanks for the replys , im not particulary worried about drop , i have a custom .243 set up as my long range rig. its just nice to have the flattest shooting bullet you can in a certain calibre , wether its a .22lr or a .220 swift. so what is the advantages of using specific hornet heads if they have such low ballistic coefficient ?

and btw , its an anchultz im getting , its accurate enough for what i want as it shoots sub moa easily enough

and btw , its an anchultz im getting , its accurate enough for what i want as it shoots sub moa easily enough
    I had one. Didn't' like the rear locking lugs and generous chamber dimensions of mine but it shot 3/4 MOA consistently and had a super sweet trigger. The thing is, every CZ I ran into had a tight chamber and shot half MOA and under. Sold the Anny for enough to buy the CZ outright and never looked back. You'll have fun though. Enjoy.~Muir

hi , thanks for the replys , im not particulary worried about drop , i have a custom .243 set up as my long range rig. its just nice to have the flattest shooting bullet you can in a certain calibre , wether its a .22lr or a .220 swift. so what is the advantages of using specific hornet heads if they have such low ballistic coefficient ?
    They are designed to expand at lower velocities. Most Hornet factory loads are relatively slow when compared with the velocities we can now get with such as H Li'll Gun and small pistol primers. I think the historical benefits that they once may have provided have been overtaken by developments in reloading.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I had one. Didn't' like the rear locking lugs and generous chamber dimensions of mine but it shot 3/4 MOA consistently and had a super sweet trigger. The thing is, every CZ I ran into had a tight chamber and shot half MOA and under. Sold the Anny for enough to buy the CZ outright and never looked back. You'll have fun though. Enjoy.~Muir
    what does it matter if it has a tight chamber or not if it shoots accurately ? (im not being funny just asking as iv only been home loading for a year and i still don't understand a lot of these things i know it might be daft but the anny looks stunning to me , whereas the cz looks a bit agricultural

what does it matter if it has a tight chamber or not if it shoots accurately ? (im not being funny just asking as iv only been home loading for a year and i still don't understand a lot of these things i know it might be daft but the anny looks stunning to me , whereas the cz looks a bit agricultural
    When brass comes fro the chamber visibly 'bloated' it tells me that case life will be short if I choose to Full Length Resize it so i was left with a neck sizing, or in the end, partial neck resizing in a FL die. Accuracy was nothing close to the CZ's using identically loaded rounds. I the end, I came to look on the Anschutz as an oversized .22 action. It was a beautiful rifle with a sensational trigger but for less money I got a rifle that would out shoot it, had twin front lugs and a mauser-type claw extractor: basically a miniaturized large CF action that shot rings around the Anny. Looking agricultural? Maybe. But as the man once said: "The only interesting rifle is an accurate one." ~Muir

what i want to know is can i still expect good accuracy from standerd .224 heads such blitzkings when fired out of a hornet or do i have to use hornet specific heads? thanks a lot , connor
    Muir all but nailed it with his ref' to "longer bullets will have a harder time stabilizing in that slow twist" as this is exactly the problem I've found with the longer Berger 35g's bullets that would not group better than a c8" pattern in my Anschutz!

Stick with 35 or 40 grain V-Max. If you can find them.

K