Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many people use home loads other people have loaded?

How many people use home loads other people have loaded?

As above, many people say "never use someone else's home loads" which I understand and see the point of but if you witness the loads being made would you still have issue with this?

i enjoy basic reloading (just a lee loader, basic electronic scales etc) and only even load relatively sedate loads (e.g.- 36gr of varget pushing 85 grain btsp's for 243 and 46.3 gr varget pushing 170 SP's for my 30/06.

the reason I mention all this is I am soon to be moving and need to get rid of some of the loading components as I can't take them with me so was thinking of offering and sd member or someone local to come round and I'll load up 20 or so rounds for them to try for free, the only stipulation is that I load them, they are more than welcome to have a go too if they would like.

this may help someone new to shooting or reloading but I didn't want people automatically put off by the "never use others reloads" thing.

So what are your thoughts on this? seems like it can be difficult to offer help nowadays!

regards,
    Gixer
    Last edited by gixer1; 11-05-2014 at 10:33.

It all depends on the reloader and wether you trust them.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

On my dsc level 1, Chris Howard told us 'politely refuse' was the answer to that question then went on to say how he disagrees with it and that he reloads for three different people!

Is an experienced reloader loading for someone more dangerous than a complete novice making some up un-supervised?
    I think it's more of a 'don't take sweets from strangers' type thing as you don't know what's in it!

Sounds like a great offer

Quote Originally Posted by long_range_rob View Post
    It all depends on the reloader and wether you trust them.

Very true - and I am more than willing to show the person what and why I am doing in every step pointing out the minimums and maximums etc. if that helps.

regards,
    Gixer

Quote Originally Posted by gixer1 View Post
    As above, many people say "never use someone else's home loads" which I understand and see the point of but if you witness the loads being made would you still have issue with this?

i enjoy basic reloading (just a lee loader, basic electronic scales etc) and only even load relatively sedate loads (e.g.- 36gr of varget pushing 85 grain btsp's for 243 and 46.3 gr varget pushing 170 SP's for my 30/06.

the reason I mention all this is I am soon to be moving and need to get rid of some of the loading components as I can't take them with me so was thinking of offering and sd member or someone local to come round and I'll load up 20 or so rounds for them to try for free, the only stipulation is that I load them, they are more than welcome to have a go too if they would like.

this may help someone new to shooting or reloading but I didn't want people automatically put off by the "never use others reloads" thing.

So what are your thoughts on this? seems like it can be difficult to offer help nowadays!

regards,
    Gixer
    Notwithstanding the point that another person might be an idiot when it comes to reloading with all the problems that carries, I think the point they are trying to make in this statement, although not very well, is not to use ammunition that has been hand loaded for another rifle (in which it might be perfectly safe) as it might very well not be in your own rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingers243 View Post
    Notwithstanding the point that another person might be an idiot when it comes to reloading with all the problems that carries, I think the point they are trying to make in this statement, although not very well, is not to use ammunition that has been hand loaded for another rifle (in which it might be perfectly safe) as it might very well not be in your own rifle.

I was was more thinking of standard load data as apposed to tuned loads for high performance competition type rifles. But I see your point.

Regards,
    gixer

I bought a rifle that came with 200+ reloads
    The chap is an experienced stalker/reloader. I accepted all the ammo with the sale.

Despite this as a matter of course I weighed each and every round (whole)
    The case/bullet/charge weights were all within a couple of grains (acceptable variance is just case weight alone)

I pulled a couple of them and checked the powder, visual match on the 4831 I already had (not ideal but a totally different powder colour/shape would have rung alarm bells)

All the ammo shot very well and I am still working my way through the Lapua Mega loads (cringe every time I pull the trigger as I see pound notes flying out the muzzle!)

Comes down to whether the person loading is also using and you get a feel for whether you think they are producing ammo that you are willing to trust
    If you don't it doesn't take a great deal of effort to pull them all, consolidate powder and reload them yourself!

I think this is a good idea, but the thread's moved off target as it often does.

Obviously reloads offered with a rifle are a sales inducement, but unless the buyer checks every one out then he's guessing. That's a whole lot of work to scrounge and salvage components.

Legally the only reloading allowed is your own production, or what your buyer turns out himself under your supervision. Otherwise you're manufacturing unlicensed ammunition, and trading in it.

I've got a lot of kit, and could turn out ammo in all the standard calibres... about 20-30 calibres quite easily. I wouldn't contemplate this, or use anything of unknown origin myself. I've shown quite a few acquaintances how to produce a box of ammo in a loading session here, but always with the proviso that they do all the work while I watch & give a few tips along the way. That way my FAC is safe, and my fingerprints aren't on the cases.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Well, the offer is there if anyone in the Aberdeenshire area wants to take it up.

Why not just sell what disassembled components you haven't used when it's tie to move?
    treat teaching others how to reload as a separate thing 8)
    e.g short on varget for my 6br and .3006 cases seem to sell ok