Thread: Smoking haunch

Smoking haunch

Tried smoking a whole haunch yesterday. Mmmm, not overly happy with the results. I stripped the bone out and laid the haunch out and applied a decent Piri Piri seasoning rub to both sides and set it off for about 6 hours in the smoker. Despite the weather being foul and playing havoc with maintaining correct temps etc. the finished product whilst it had a great smoke outer crust was very livery inside and not very palatable. As an aside, I also had some homemade venison sausages and salmon fillets in the same cook session and they turned out lovely.

Has anyone else had similar experiences with smoking the haunch?

not done haunch, however when I smoke Brisket, I let it cold smoke for about 11/2-2 hours, then wrap it in foil and cook on a low heat for another couple of hours in the oven, that way you get the smoke line in the meat and the flavour while the meat itself is very tender. if you are getting a crispy outside then I would think you are trying to smoke it at too high a temperature.
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

sounds like too high temps if you have a hard crust you wont get the penetration though out the meat, try lower and slower or split the haunch down into muscle groups,atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Thanks for the replies. The outer surface of the meat wasn't crusty, it had dried a bit and the meat had taken on a good 5mm smoke ring. The difficulty was maintaining a high enough temperature. I don't think I managed a temp above about 120 C, the meat thermometer reached 140F. This is something I'm learning how to get consistent.

We we bought the haunch in and have been slicing strips off and flash frying them. The taste has improved.

Quote Originally Posted by Backstop View Post
    Thanks for the replies. The outer surface of the meat wasn't crusty, it had dried a bit and the meat had taken on a good 5mm smoke ring. The difficulty was maintaining a high enough temperature. I don't think I managed a temp above about 120 C, the meat thermometer reached 140F. This is something I'm learning how to get consistent.

We we bought the haunch in and have been slicing strips off and flash frying them. The taste has improved.
    try the foil and oven trick, its a cheat,but a good one
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."