Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mincer confusion

Mincer confusion

Looking to purchase my first mincer.
    Will be used mainly for rabbit and the odd deer (perhaps 1 a month as most go straight to game dealer)
    I just really don't know what I'm buying!! I see some for 60 and others 200-300 +
    Any advice or suggestions welcomed
    Regards
    FF

Hi, I recently bought a Breville grinder that came with a sausage attachment second hand off a certain auction site. It come with a decent stainless steel hopper tray and coarse, medium and fine grinding plates. I got it for 30 used and I believe they're about 60 new. It took me about 10 minutes to grind 7lb of venison and pork belly. It's quite noisy but not too bad. I had contemplated buying the kitchen aid attachment that fitted the wife's food processor but at about 65 I thought get my own machine and not have the wife fussing!

later it fed the mince through to the sausage casings with surprising ease. I found some sinew collecting on the coarse cutter but was able to remove the grinding plate and fit some washers in its place to steady the worm drive and this significantly improved the problem.

all in all for light use I've found it ideal.

good luck.

Glad i read your post first before replying .sorry had to.
    #

look on ebay for one that has diff cutters and is dishwasher safe and can take /large hopper feed so rusk and meat etc can me put in with ease.
    like this type or better,http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Fursty Ferret View Post
    Looking to purchase my first mincer.
    Will be used mainly for rabbit and the odd deer (perhaps 1 a month as most go straight to game dealer)
    I just really don't know what I'm buying!! I see some for 60 and others 200-300 +
    Any advice or suggestions welcomed
    Regards
    FF

I recommend this:
    Do not buy a hand-mixer- it will take you hours to do a deer.
    Buy the most powerful electric (dedicated) mixer you can afford, so not a general kitchen machine with a mincer attachment, but a stand-alone mincer.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Hamburger View Post
    I recommend this:
    Buy the most powerful electric (dedicated) mixer you can afford, so not a general kitchen machine with a mincer attachment, but a stand-alone mincer.
    I made that mistake at first. It was a huge amount of effort, especially as the clamp wasn't wide enough to affix it to my kitchen worktop, so I had to attach it to a chopping board that I had to hold down with one hand whilst cranking the handle with the other, it was just hopeless. Incidentally if anyone wants a small manual mincer, you're welcome to it. Just make sure that your kitchen table is quite thin.

I recommend this:
    Been there, done that and agree 100%.

Hand mincers are for apples/ potatoes/ cooked liver- anything with a little resistance to mincing.
    Meat is very resilient and it requires an electric motor to mince it

I recommend this:

maybe an adaptor on this then

or i got one of these to do my Pigs (use a separate sausage stuffer tho)

BS199 1800W Professional Digital Electric Meat Mincer and Sausage Filler

if no budget take it to your butcher and have a deal up with him get it all done with no big outlays.

Regular Poster
    I simply use the attachment to my wife's kenwood cake mixer (in fact I think I think I generously bought it for her as a birthday present). It's always done us fine and we use it quite a lot and more than it sounds like you will. I note Backstop's and Erik Hamburger's points above but on the off chance you already have a kenwood mixer, I would recomend the kenwood adaptor.

PM - you make a very kind offer of your manual mincer to anyone with a thin table, what you omitted to mention is that the thin table needs to be bolted to the floor!!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foss View Post
    I simply use the attachment to my wife's kenwood cake mixer (in fact I think I think I generously bought it for her as a birthday present). It's always done us fine and we use it quite a lot and more than it sounds like you will. I note Backstop's and Erik Hamburger's points above but on the off chance you already have a kenwood mixer, I would recomend the kenwood adaptor.

PM - you make a very kind offer of your manual mincer to anyone with a thin table, what you omitted to mention is that the thin table needs to be bolted to the floor!!
    +1 - exactly what I do as well. I have to say that the Kenwood continues to impress, and easily copes with the occasional roe or muntjac I throw at it (perhaps one every couple of months).

If I was doing more than this, but less than say one a week, I would probably take my venison for mincing to the local butcher. More than that I would invest in a full-on professional mincing machine, a Hobart or similar.

willi_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!