Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bush pests in Aussie.

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    "you nae be needing these no more"
    I said as I slipped the knife through the cord

সাম্বার হরিণ

More food for thought, thanks John.

I understand the need to control feral pests with poison John, but surely the secondary poisoning (uncontrolled) of native species will be high using the methods described??
    Pity they cant do fox/wild dog drives it would be great way to control numbers.
    Paul
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

"Once bitten, gassed, poisoned or trapped, twice shy" I'm sure ole mate regrets this quote. Done properly, the dogs should be killed by the baits, traps, etc, first time & not educated to avoid them. Just another emotional piece of journalism aimed at the disconnect between those who live on the thin costal fringe & those in the country.

Fox drives are useful in some situations, but the landholdings are just too large to make them effective in many areas. Drives aren't practical for dogs. Skilled trapping IMO is the most effective way to deal with dogs, better even than baits, but very dependent on the trappers skill.

If baits are used they can be laid out or buried in such a fashion that there is very little taken by non target species, still, its not perfect though.

Being a hunter, I've always been opposed to 1080 & as long as animals like pigs are doing minimum damage, I try to consider them as part of the landscape (we will never eradicate them anyway, unless there is a very effective biological control developed) to be managed & provide hunting opportunities. However in the last several years pig dogging has become such a problem that Im not opposed to using 1080 now, not just in grain to kill the pigs, but also putting out baits targeting foxes & if a poacher, ignores the signs & his pig dogs eats one, its a shame for the dogs but what else can I do. I can manage the pigs using hunters, but I can't manage the pig doggers, so 1080 solves the problem, but at the cost to the honest hunters loosing the opportunity.

IMO there is currently an increase in the use of 1080 down here, not a decrease & I don't see any alternative or a decrease on the horizon.

Cheers Sharkey

Deer Dog Available
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkey View Post

If baits are used they can be laid out or buried in such a fashion that there is very little taken by non target species, still, its not perfect though.

Cheers Sharkey
    Tallangatta has one of the worst problems with dogs,its sambar hunting ground that I know and the only way to deliver baits on an effective scale is to air drop...then there are the quolls!
    Most of the country in Vic where the dogs are is virtually inaccessible,we have our trappers but they barely make a dent.below are some dog trees and related stories.

I cant find a pic of the Tallangatta tree,its a beaut!

Wild dog trapper's impressive record continues at Tumbarumba - Agriculture - Agribusiness - General News - The Land

The dogs that ate a sheep industry - Background Briefing - ABC Radio National (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

সাম্বার হরিণ

Evening Johno

Seen a lot of this first hand, dogs, damage and the hanging trees/fences, shot a fair few to, NSW QLD & top end, have seen a lot of mix breeds and dingo looking crosses, but I have always been told that they are NOT Dingos, in the true genetic sense (the only true genetically pure ones left in the wild are on Frazer Island) is this the case? as recent news articles report them all as Dingos?
    atb

That is some serious damage being done by dogs John. As rick said, are they dingos or wild dogs?????

Deer Dog Available
    Both! The cockies dont care either as long as they are dead.

Swado shot one last week,I will put a pic up for him,I`m sure he has much more to add...over to you Benny boy!

If you think a fox or two can do a bit of livestock damage what do you reckon these ****ing things can do!

Plenty of anecdotal evidence of up to 200 sheep savaged/killed in a night on some places.

Onya Benny!

সাম্বার হরিণ

Good work,

Deffo got more than just Dingo in that, saw and shot a few black n tan variations, could be Alsatian or bull mastiff crosses, you don't get that size without eating livestock.
    atb