Bush pests in Aussie.

I understand the need to control feral pests with poison John, but surely the secondary poisoning (uncontrolled) of native species will be high using the methods described??
Pity they cant do fox/wild dog drives it would be great way to control numbers.
Paul

"Once bitten, gassed, poisoned or trapped, twice shy" I'm sure ole mate regrets this quote. Done properly, the dogs should be killed by the baits, traps, etc, first time & not educated to avoid them. Just another emotional piece of journalism aimed at the disconnect between those who live on the thin costal fringe & those in the country.

Fox drives are useful in some situations, but the landholdings are just too large to make them effective in many areas. Drives aren't practical for dogs. Skilled trapping IMO is the most effective way to deal with dogs, better even than baits, but very dependent on the trappers skill.

If baits are used they can be laid out or buried in such a fashion that there is very little taken by non target species, still, its not perfect though.

Being a hunter, I've always been opposed to 1080 & as long as animals like pigs are doing minimum damage, I try to consider them as part of the landscape (we will never eradicate them anyway, unless there is a very effective biological control developed) to be managed & provide hunting opportunities. However in the last several years pig dogging has become such a problem that Im not opposed to using 1080 now, not just in grain to kill the pigs, but also putting out baits targeting foxes & if a poacher, ignores the signs & his pig dogs eats one, its a shame for the dogs but what else can I do. I can manage the pigs using hunters, but I can't manage the pig doggers, so 1080 solves the problem, but at the cost to the honest hunters loosing the opportunity.

IMO there is currently an increase in the use of 1080 down here, not a decrease & I don't see any alternative or a decrease on the horizon.

Cheers Sharkey

If baits are used they can be laid out or buried in such a fashion that there is very little taken by non target species, still, its not perfect though.

Cheers Sharkey

Tallangatta has one of the worst problems with dogs,its sambar hunting ground that I know and the only way to deliver baits on an effective scale is to air drop...then there are the quolls!
Most of the country in Vic where the dogs are is virtually inaccessible,we have our trappers but they barely make a dent.below are some dog trees and related stories.

I cant find a pic of the Tallangatta tree,its a beaut!

Wild dog trapper's impressive record continues at Tumbarumba - Agriculture - Agribusiness - General News - The Land

The dogs that ate a sheep industry - Background Briefing - ABC Radio National (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Evening Johno

Seen a lot of this first hand, dogs, damage and the hanging trees/fences, shot a fair few to, NSW QLD & top end, have seen a lot of mix breeds and dingo looking crosses, but I have always been told that they are NOT Dingos, in the true genetic sense (the only true genetically pure ones left in the wild are on Frazer Island) is this the case? as recent news articles report them all as Dingos?
atb

That is some serious damage being done by dogs John. As rick said, are they dingos or wild dogs?????

Both! The cockies dont care either as long as they are dead.

Swado shot one last week,I will put a pic up for him,I`m sure he has much more to add...over to you Benny boy!

If you think a fox or two can do a bit of livestock damage what do you reckon these ****ing things can do!

Plenty of anecdotal evidence of up to 200 sheep savaged/killed in a night on some places.

Onya Benny!

SWADOMUTT_zpsa64a555f.jpg

Good work,

Deffo got more than just Dingo in that, saw and shot a few black n tan variations, could be Alsatian or bull mastiff crosses, you don't get that size without eating livestock.
atb

Good work,

Deffo got more than just Dingo in that, saw and shot a few black n tan variations, could be Alsatian or bull mastiff crosses, you don't get that size without eating livestock.
atb

Down here we have these crazy laws were most of the animals we shoot "must" be left in the paddock untouched to feed the ferals. Cockies don't get a cent back from pro shooters if they give them their roo tags issued for damage control. Pro shooters can also cause another set of problems which I won't go into now. So, many cockies fill the tags themselves, or use a couple of "nominated shooters" to do it. These tags are "drop tags" & must be attached to roos were they drop, nothing can be taken, not even for your own dogs. We are talking about a lot of animals left on regular basis over the entire range of agricultural districts. It's also the same in NP's, animals shot are not recovered, but left to feed the pigs, dogs & foxes.

Pest control is big business down here, both at government level & in the private sector, those with an interest push hard against any changes.

Something as simple as issuing recreational roo tags to larger land holders would see private hunters given the opportunity to shoot & then utilise this resource, but there is resistance from every level. Not surprisingly the roo shooting industry moreso than the antis IMO.

Cheers Sharkey

Interesting detail there Sharkey where in Aus are you? If I remember right we had to be registered first, then got hired out to a few stations via a farm assist program I remember tagging the dead on occasion, and leaving on site, but moved a lot of carcasses to bait stations on request of landowner, back in the eighties it was less regulated and stuff was taken of site for one reason or another. In the 1990's and again in 2006/8 we shot a fair bit up top end and other than usual permits & authority we needed permission from the Aboriginal land owners, who on most occasions wanted what was shot, which I think is a right they have as guardians of the land.
cheers

A member family in our club lost 2 beautiful Weimerrana pups to wild dog baits. Only one licked a dead fox and picked up the poision. It's mate licked the first dogs face in the vet and also got the poison.
It was an extremely horrific experience for all the family. Lovely people an beautiful dogs gone in the worst possible, most pathetic and cruel way.
I am dead against any form of baiting as its a cruel and pathetic way to kill any animal. Even if they are feral they deserve a quick death.
I have heard from several cockies that birds will pick up the baits and drop pieces of them anwhere. Sometimies miles away on neighboring properties.
Disgusting way to kill any animal.

Interesting detail there Sharkey where in Aus are you? If I remember right we had to be registered first, then got hired out to a few stations via a farm assist program I remember tagging the dead on occasion, and leaving on site, but moved a lot of carcasses to bait stations on request of landowner, back in the eighties it was less regulated and stuff was taken of site for one reason or another. In the 1990's and again in 2006/8 we shot a fair bit up top end and other than usual permits & authority we needed permission from the Aboriginal land owners, who on most occasions wanted what was shot, which I think is a right they have as guardians of the land.
cheers

My place is a four hour drive Nth West of Sydney. Its a "dry land" farming area with no irrigation & 700mm rainfall. Raising livestock is the mainstay of the area & any sowing or dirt farming is basically to provide forage ,hay or grain for stock.

Being on the western slope of the divide there is two options for managing roos. There is no private hunting for roos in NSW. Roos can be professionally shot for the chiller (not allowed on the eastern side of the range, it's drop tags only there), we can get destruction tags for harvest by licensed "trappers" & also the "drop tags" for nominated shooters. All animals shot under the drop tags ( hundreds of thousands each year in NSW), must be left to rot & to feed the ferals were they fall with the tag then being attached to the carcase. Either way the farmers make nothing out of it as pro shooters receive the money for the harvested roos & nothing is returned to the cocky.

Its illegal to use any dead animals intentionally as pig baits down here, & only very small baits are used for dogs & foxes if meat is legally used, not whole carcases or several. Its illegal to move "drop tag" roos, its also illegal to use them as a pig bait, but if the pigs & dogs eat them were they fall then thats OK, just don't call them a bait. Crazy aye??

Cheers Sharkey

A member family in our club lost 2 beautiful Weimerrana pups to wild dog baits. Only one licked a dead fox and picked up the poision. It's mate licked the first dogs face in the vet and also got the poison.
It was an extremely horrific experience for all the family. Lovely people an beautiful dogs gone in the worst possible, most pathetic and cruel way.
I am dead against any form of baiting as its a cruel and pathetic way to kill any animal. Even if they are feral they deserve a quick death.
I have heard from several cockies that birds will pick up the baits and drop pieces of them anwhere. Sometimies miles away on neighboring properties.
Disgusting way to kill any animal.

I don't think anyone likes poison, but what else do you do when the other options aren't working?

What were weimerrana pups doing in an area being baited for wild dogs?

"licked a dead fox" & then passed on to another dog by licking, & then from that pup to a vet? Sorry but I'm struggling to understand this. Was the poison 1080 or was someone illegally using strychnine or another illegal poison?

Cheers Sharkey

Sharkey, I understand why people do it, they have no or limited choices. I get it.
If I was in a similar position I would to probably be forced to do the same thing. People have livestock and businesses to protect.
I just don't like seeing any animal die a slow death.
No the pups were not in a area being baited, but the property did adjoin national park that was.
I have no idea what the poison was.

Lots of these are currently posted in the bush.

This older pic shows how the Gov place them out there as warning to dog walkers etc.

d42b0d12.jpg

Back