Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which new boots

Which new boots

After killing my old mouflon plus's which I know havnt got the best of names on here its time to start looking at a new pair and I was just wondering what you chaps thought of as a replacment, do I need to be spending a arm and a leg on a new pair or should I be looking at a cheaper pair, I wont be wearing them every day and I want them to be waterproof and high in the leg like the old mouflons

Cant go far wrong with Meindl, either the Dovre (wide fit and a tall boot) or the Glockner (more normal fit and not quite as high).

I also quite like the mountaineering boots like Salomon, La Sportiva and Scarpa because they are tough and you can pick them up relatively cheap.

Dan

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    If you want high boots I would suggest looking at the Lundhags. I still rate them as the best boots I've had, bar none. You can often find them secondhand on eBay at very good prices. For high boots the others I really rate are Danner, but they can be a challenge to get hold of here in the UK, so I will postpone my purchase of a new pair until I visit the States later this year.

I have just had to buy a pair of "normal" boots for lowland stalking. The Laksen boots I have been using, despite being very comfortable, now seem to leak like the proverbial sieve. I researched both Meindl and Scarpa, eventually settling on the latter (the SL M3 model). This was primarily because the reviews I read of the Meindls were pretty consistent in saying that the quality in recent models is a lot worse than of old. Admittedly these reviews were from walkers and hikers, but there were enough people reporting quality issues to put me off them. The Scarpas should arrive this week, and I hope to give them an initial outing on Thursday.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

After a good amount of research I went for these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HANWAG-Trekk...s=hanwag+boots

To be fair I wanted something that would also serve as a good hill walking boot so didn't want a full-on dedicated stalking boot like the Meindl Dovres but so far these seem pretty good. Comfy out the box, very supportive to the ankle, good protective rand and the GoreTex liner should mean waterproofing is good with minimal maintenance. Also a decent price. The Amazon seller is in Germany but service was fantastic - free delivery and also returns (I sent them back to go up another half size).

Worth a look!

Cheers,

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot View Post
    After killing my old mouflon plus's which I know havnt got the best of names on here its time to start looking at a new pair and I was just wondering what you chaps thought of as a replacment, do I need to be spending a arm and a leg on a new pair or should I be looking at a cheaper pair, I wont be wearing them every day and I want them to be waterproof and high in the leg like the old mouflons
    Some bargains on this site: If you buy 'Grade 1' used, you often find they are actually brand new and in the original packaging.
    The 'Special Forces Gore-Tex' boots lasted me 5 years, I am now on the second pair for Winter, and a pair of NEW Meindl Desert Boots at 30 for fine weather stalking.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

Lowa mountain gtx boot..nice and well made...even better if they are free lol
    Last edited by exmarksman9870; 12-05-2014 at 16:21.

I have the Harkila pro hunter Kevlar high boots and no complaints so far have used them on the hill and woodland stalking, rabbiting, beating and out and about. they have kept my feet dry even when I slightly walked into a waist deep peat bog (trousers stopped in going over the top).

You can't go wrong with the Meindl Dovre Extremes but they are pricey! If on a budget, have a look at Matterhorns or the newer Army issed brown Atlberg boots which you will see on ebay.
    MS

Ones that fit!
    i say that because no 2 manufacturers boots will fit the same if the mouflon were good for you why not just get another pair?
    Best thing is try before you by.
    Cheers
    Dickie

Quote Originally Posted by exmarksman9870 View Post
    Lowa mountain gtx boot..nice and well made...even better if they are free lol
    +1 top boot , Im to old to have got them free