Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: buying reloading equip on US holiday

buying reloading equip on US holiday

Hi Guys,

Some advice please,

I'm off on a family hol to USA and was thinking of buying some reloading equipment. Is there anything I should be aware of ?

I was thinking of just getting some digital scales, dies and reloading odds and sods if cheaper. Nothing to do with gun parts but the tools required to reload.

Thanks

There are no restrictions on scales, dies, presses etc; companies like Dillon and Lee will ship this kind of equipment direct to your home anyway. You can bring in bullets (and they should be much cheaper in the US) and even expanding ones if you're licensed to have them and declare them when you arrive. But people I know have been hassled by TSA for bullets. I don't know about ammunition, primers and powder though, probably not worth the hassle and the airline might refuse to handle explosive materials.

Triffid

I have bought back Dillon kit and loading dies before without issue. Placed order online for delivery to our holiday accommodation. Worked a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by charlieboy-shooter View Post
    Hi Guys,

Some advice please,

I'm off on a family hol to USA and was thinking of buying some reloading equipment. Is there anything I should be aware of ?

I was thinking of just getting some digital scales, ....
    I ordered some digital scales as part of a Sinclair Int order for a friend. The scales didn't work and it was a nightmare getting them returned and replaced. I would be wary of buying any high value item that might need servicing in the future.

Regards

JCS

Hi feller i run into the red tape gang a few weeks ago ,
    read my saga: usa brass and bullers - Page 2

if you wish to chance it then stay mum but if you get caught don't cry why !! its coz they are being way OTT and your the bad guy!!!
    but if you get away with it mine are sierra 130hp in 6.5 please

oh i forgot to say a set of redding 6.5x47 bushing comp dies would be nice
    Last edited by paul o'; 12-05-2014 at 11:39.

Had no issues a couple of years ago. Got the lock n load classic press, dies, scales, case prep kit and a few other bits, no brass or bullets though.
    All went into one case & checked in as normal. Customs did open & inspect somewhere along its journey but no issues
    Wingy

I brought back some bullets, TSA opened my case and left a note saying they had done it. I didn't bring back loads, just a few hundred. Ive heard of other people who have either been fined/taxed and/or lost the whole lot, but this was bullets.
    I did leave my FAC in the top of my case, so it was the first thing they saw, whether made any difference I really don't know.
    Work them hard, treat them like heros.

A mate from NZ took a mess of new brass and bullets home to NZ with no problems at all last November. He had them in his luggage with everything else.. TSA never said a word about that stuff...

Z

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    I ordered some digital scales as part of a Sinclair Int order for a friend. The scales didn't work and it was a nightmare getting them returned and replaced. I would be wary of buying any high value item that might need servicing in the future.

Regards

JCS
    mmm sent a Leupold scope back to the US Came back as New , also sent US Optics scope back , mark on lens , sent back a new one ,(recently ) also ask if I would like anything adding or changing to the speck free of charge and also added if anything ever went wrong again it would be replaced no questions asked in writing (Email) also purchased many other Items from the U.S,A, always Very good Quality and have been cheaper even with ;;postage, vat , and the ripp off parcel force charge , BUT always work out the full cost and compare US + CUSTOMS price with UK price, To be fair its not as good as it once was But its coming Back,
    Last edited by 49ERIC; 12-05-2014 at 20:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Backstop View Post
    I have bought back Dillon kit and loading dies before without issue. Placed order online for delivery to our holiday accommodation. Worked a treat.

+1 you don't pay sales tax either.
    When it come's to vermin. OVERKILL is better than NO KILL.