Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dead but doesn't know it

dead but doesn't know it

Some idle wondering while I wait for the next meeting to start...

... I shot quite small roe buck this weekend. 200 yards, .308 with 150gr ballistic tip.

Went through the nearside shoulder; through the heart, leaving not much more than mince; and smashed the offside femur (it was deliberately aimed through the shoulders to stop it bolting into thick foresty).

It still ran 40 yards. Blood trail like a someone had been pouring it out of a bucket the whole way.

I was astonished it made it that far, with both legs supposedly out of action and blood gushing out.

So - a question: what's the furthest you've had a 'dead but doesn't yet know it' deer actually get?

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    Some idle wondering while I wait for the next meeting to start...

... I shot quite small roe buck this weekend. 200 yards, .308 with 150gr ballistic tip.

Went through the nearside shoulder; through the heart, leaving not much more than mince; and smashed the offside femur (it was deliberately aimed through the shoulders to stop it bolting into thick foresty).

It still ran 40 yards. Blood trail like a someone had been pouring it out of a bucket the whole way.

I was astonished it made it that far, with both legs supposedly out of action and blood gushing out.

So - a question: what's the furthest you've had a 'dead but doesn't yet know it' deer actually get?
    Had both 'good runners' with sika and reds. eight point sika seen me before I seen him, straight through the heart and frontshoulder(was slightly quartering) made it through a 150m thick sika plantation and was on the other side in the middle of the track stone dead.
    Red was in a group of stags heart shot again, but he took off with the other boys - kept up with them a good 200yds on the hill before rolling over dead!! obviously neither hit a bone on the way in. but both fell stone dead!!

God help you when daven finds out your slagging off his much lived shoulder shot ! It's the only shot there is!!!!

it happens from time to time just adrenalin keeping them going had a roe doe keep going for 50 yards when I caught upto it half the heart was missing and one lung was mush , always amazes me how tough animals are in this situation
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

With my .223 furthest had one run would be around 40 yards , interestingly have had them go further with the .243 but most of the time they drop with both , that was using soft points in both
    Last edited by bigyin; 12-05-2014 at 17:10.

Shot a fairly old Red stag at under 40yds with a 130gr .270
    Smacked him broadside bang through the top of the heart
    He skipped a bit and as he turned he presented a visible exit hole with cup fulls of blood spilling out
    ...tough barsteward trotted off as if someone had smacked him on the arse, disappeared off round the shoulder of a hill!!

luckily I was confident it wasn't the real story and sure enough we found him round the corner face down. must have made it 70yds

ive seen roe do about 100yrds with me giving it some serious arse twitching thinking ive pulled the shot but the best one i ever had was on a seriously step valley with me at thne bottom and a small group of roe about 3/4 the way up only trouble was the snow was thick and i knew extraction was going to be a b???h but i had to take as many as possible for the keeper, i managed to hit 3 does out of the group only to watch the first two run along the bank collapse and slide like some sort of hairy sledge almost to my feet and the third get hung up on a small plato but a quick shove got him the rest of the way

Sika are a bit notorious for not knowing they are dead. Rare enough to get them to drop on the spot no matter what the calibre. 40 or 50 yards not unusual.

Worst one i had was a Blue Wildebeest Cow in SA Shot it through the shoulder at 120yds it dropped to its knees jumped up and took off into a dry river bed P H said give it a minute or two and we'll get the boys to sort it out (yeah right) as we approached off it went at such a speed we both thought it was another beast so we let it go. After following the blood trail realised that the animal we saw take off was mine (oh SH!T) so we called the trackers in and set off i shot the beast at 9.30am we tracked it for two hours the boys found it in some thick acacia very much alive as we snook in off it went again running so i put a shot after it as it passed a clearing and it dropped like a stone as we walked up to it . it stood up and went for one of the boys
    this time i shot it in the swede and finally killed it over 3 miles from where i first hit it, the first bullet hit the thing in the lungs the second was in the chest
    the relief was so over whelming i had to get PI$$ed in the bar that night

Glen, most of the fallow I shoot rarely drop on the spot . I have had them run 100 m ,that's why I stalk with a dog ?she saves me a lot of time and gives me the confidence to take a late shot .

chill

I shot a read stag with a 7mm 162gn rws come point bullet. Broadside on. First shot behind the shoulder, saw the stag shake and then bullet impact the ground beyond the beast. It just stood there as if nothing had happened. 2nd shot - same thing - I thought I was shooting high, so next shot aimed a bit lower. It dropped. It was still thrashing so put one in the back of the head. Total elapsed time 20 seconds I suppose.

Three rounds were all in a two inch group in the kill zone. With good large exit holes through offside shoulder. When I gralloched it, two bullet tracks through the lungs and aorta and one straight through the heart. It was dead at the first shot.