Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stud dog dilema- your opinions please

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)

Stud dog dilema- your opinions please

I was asked recently if my Teckel, Dexter would like to cover a bitch belonging to a local stalker.
    I agreed and a price of £500 stud fee was agreed upon.
    The bitch was a maiden and Dexter too but she was receptive and the job duly done - twice - although on consecutive nights.
    The bitch took and in due course whelped.
    I have just had a call asking for papers so as registration can take place.
    I was surprised when the stalker said there were only 2x pups. I thought there were 3x. Turns out there actually 4x. 1x was stillborn, 1x has since died (suspected mother rolling on it) leaving just 2x dogs left.
    So my dilema is should I still insist on £500?
    Your opinions please
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Unless he's a very good friend, yes. I would expect the full stud fee. Assuming you were nothing but honest with him about your dog.

That's certainly what I would expect if I were in the bitches owners position. It's quite good of you to wait until pups are born before taking payment.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    I was asked recently if my Teckel, Dexter would like to cover a bitch belonging to a local stalker.
    I agreed and a price of £500 stud fee was agreed upon.
    The bitch was a maiden and Dexter too but she was receptive and the job duly done - twice - although on consecutive nights.
    The bitch took and in due course whelped.
    I have just had a call asking for papers so as registration can take place.
    I was surprised when the stalker said there were only 2x pups. I thought there were 3x. Turns out there actually 4x. 1x was stillborn, 1x has since died (suspected mother rolling on it) leaving just 2x dogs left.
    So my dilema is should I still insist on £500?
    Your opinions please
    in short-: yes!
    your boy held up his end of the bargain! I would say its a personal choice to ask for the full amount. If you agreed a pup for a stud fee would you not take it??

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Well, to me at least, the fact that you are asking the question suggests you feel uncomfortable about asking for the full fee. If the other owner is a friend, that would be a position I could sympathise with. I would ask, though, whether you would be asking the same question if the bitch had originally had just the two pups?

Has the other owner said anything to you?
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

What prompted the litter in the first place? Was it so the owner of the bitch could keep a pup, or simply to make money? If the former he's got his pup out the litter and should still pay you to be fair. If the latter, it's purely business and his profit margin has just been reduced, either way fairs fair and you take your payment?

Just another slant on it, that's all.

Sorry, meant to add that this is assuming no allegiance through friendship etc.....

Stud fee taken up front and if no take then you offer another service,
    Thats the way it works in the gun dog world.
    as said if you know the person then things are a bit more relaxed.

UKDTR
    Deer track and recovery
    Free of charge and confidential service

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    I do know the guy but I wouldn't call him a friend.
    The litter was prompted as he wanted another dog for himself.
    Very perceptive of you Willie. Those that know me will know that I always play fair ( even though I have been stung many times ). The guy hasn't said anything, it's just my conscience playing games again.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

As said the fact that you ask would say no don't take it but if it's was intended for a pup for himself then the sale of the other pup should go to you and no one has lost he has his pup you have your fee. Just my opinion as I don't know about mating dogs and stud fees.

David

Why not split the cash on second pup , first pup pays for everything then the next will get you both a few pint,s. What price will he be charging for a pup.

I agree with Willie Gunn. The fact that you are asking the question, speaks volumes for your sense of fair play. Be led by your own lights and treat the other person as you would hope to be treated if the roles were reversed. You won't go far wrong and that troublesome conscience will sleep as well as you will. Best wishes.