Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Media tumbler v ultrasonic bath

Media tumbler v ultrasonic bath

What are the pros and cons of each please?

I have about 200 cases that I rotate for use. I have a media tumbler but it wasn't built yesterday and the neighbours have mentioned the infernal drone from the garage. It's not on very often but the noise drives me to distraction also. The ultrasonic just seems to be a far quieter, cleaner method to employ.
    Will an ultrasonic bath do the job equally as well as I can't afford to move house.

Cheers

Phitt

i know very little on this as ive just tried a borrowed tumbler and lidl ultra sonic cleaner. gave the tumbler 10 mins then gave up. small echoey house not good. tried the ultra sonic with warm water and some lemon juice concentrate. i was amazed by how clean they came out. not super shiny but clean none the less

Quote Originally Posted by phitt View Post
    What are the pros and cons of each please?

I have about 200 cases that I rotate for use. I have a media tumbler but it wasn't built yesterday and the neighbours have mentioned the infernal drone from the garage. It's not on very often but the noise drives me to distraction also. The ultrasonic just seems to be a far quieter, cleaner method to employ.
    Will an ultrasonic bath do the job equally as well as I can't afford to move house.

Cheers

Phitt
    Ultrasound works fine but if you want clean brass forget them both and go stainless tumbling media its a worthy investment and cleans the inside of shells and primer pockets too. If you dont fancy building your own like i did, contact 1967spud
    Last edited by chocky14u; 12-05-2014 at 19:47.

I use ceramic in a vibratory tumbler, cleans the pockets very well. I can see a small advantage to SS but not worrying to make the change.

I once lived in an apartment and had a very obnoxious neighbor below. Used to set my tumbler on the floor an leave the house for a few hours at a time. Eventually she decided to work with me so afterwards we coordinated my tumbling with her shopping schedule.

SS

Quote Originally Posted by chocky14u View Post
    Ultrasound works fine but if you want clean brass forget them both and go stainless tumbling media its a worthy investment and cleans the inside of shells and primer pockets too. If you dont fancy building your own like i did, contact 1967spud

This. ^^^^^^^^ SS media will make you forget vibratory tumblers, though sonic cleaners are good for a quick cleaning.

I started off with an ultrasonic cleaner (cheap one from Maplins), and whilst it worked, a tumbler works much better. I have probably tumbled thousands of rounds and have yet to change the media.

It works for me, anyway.

I do both. Ultrasonic to the the case clean then tumbler to get em shiney!

wet tumbling with Stainless media is the way forward.. I have had them all... good old vibratory, ultrasonic and stainless... the results from the stainless are so far beyond anything the others can produce.... the cases come out like new (better in some cases!) both inside and out! (and it's very quiet when running... I put mine on and go to bed... when I get up in the morning my brass is all gleaming!)

Deprime then tumble... shiny inside and out, even the primer pockets! I had the original Thulmers which I pulled in from the states before anyone stocked them over here.. sold that last year when I needed to raise some cash in a hurry. Have now replaced with a Rebel 17.. same design but much better made & finished and cheaper to boot! Spud or JD reloading will sort you out.... a relatively hefty investment but the media will never need replacing and once you have cleaned your brass with one you will NEVER even consider using any other method..

As an optional extra get a food dehydrator from Lakeland.. 50 but absolutely perfect for drying 200 plus .308 cases in 30-60 mins without having to leave them overnight or use the oven or worry about water droplets... and you can even use it to make perfect venison jerky!
    Last edited by Vipa; 14-05-2014 at 23:29.

What size of stainless media do you use?

got both
    1 corn cob if you remove the primer it gets stuck in the flash hole and the pocket do't get cleaned. Just takes a long time
    2 ultra cleans all but iv found i need to use my hot dryer blower to dry then if needed quick or boil them in clean water. Quicker but a pain as wet = The need to dry before they are useable. i made a nail peg board and place them over each nail to dry after removing from boiling distilled water (old electric kettle) and a food sieve
    3 don't know but just may go down the ss pin's road , but do i need to new tumbler or will my old one still work ??
    Last edited by paul o'; 15-05-2014 at 07:18.