name the breed

Cheers willie. Will check that out just now . Its the weight of the horns and getting the right mount....scott

Cheers willie. Will check that out just now . Its the weight of the horns and getting the right mount....scott

This link suggested joining the horns using a length of dowel - How can I mount steer horns?

Thinking about that, it strikes me that you might want to use a short length of wooden curtain pole instead, as then you could use the pole brackets to attach the horns to the backing plate. Alternatively drill a hole the same diameter as the dowel through a solid block of wood, that is itself the same width as the gap between the horns. That way you could then thread the rod through the block, attach the block to the backing board, and then cover it with a suitable piece of leather to finish it off. To stop the horns rotating in the block, drill a hole through the block that also goes through the dowel, countersink the hole and then use a suitable length screw.

If a drawing would make it more obvious let me know and I will jot something down.

Of course a taxidermist could tell you the proper method ;)

willie_gunn

Cheers bud . Will get a few pictures posted when I finally get them finished im goin to give them a coat or two of gunstock oil to bring them up .....scott

That was quick . Yes there white park cattle one of the oldest breeds in the uk. Got these from the duke of Hamiltons herd now all I need to do is figure a way of getting them mounted.....scott

Ah! the grand old Duke .. I remember these as a teenager at Chatelherault
quite an attraction back then.
In the late 1960s they were moved to the Duke of Hamilton's estate in East Lothian but, in 1987 a small group of Cadzow bullocks was returned to the new Chatelherault Country Park. They can usually be seen grazing around the "grand avenue" at the front of Chatelherault.

Nice pair you've got there Scott..:thumb:

Rgds, Buck.

Back