Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: anealing, how often and by who ?

anealing, how often and by who ?

As per title really , my ignorance as i reload and have never annealed . Having just been reading the posts on the crimping thread it led me to ask the question ! i can see you experianced guys now thinking i am a dick , but we all have to learn , so thanks in advance , arron. should perhaps also add calibre size 30 06 hornady superform 25 06 vhit n160 ,neither are top end of the scale .
    Last edited by arron; 12-05-2014 at 21:45. Reason: calibre sizes

Depends on brass, now hot the load, how much you work the brass, full or neck sized and so on.
    This is what I do, may or may not be right for you.
    Hornet brass, neck sized only, 20 + reloads and never annealed, and no split cases.
    6mmPPC new brass but heavily reworked to form, annealed after 2nd fire forming load, and before working up an accurate load.
    .223 and .243, both rifle had a sprung plunger ejector in the bolt face, cycle the bolt normally and it will deform the case mouth
    slightly on ejection, when that stopped I annealed, did they really need it, don't know. But annealing isn't rocket science so just
    as easy to do it rather than take a chance. If you going to pay somebody to do it for you Then Spud is your man

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by arron View Post
    As per title really , my ignorance as i reload and have never annealed . Having just been reading the posts on the crimping thread it led me to ask the question ! i can see you experianced guys now thinking i am a dick , but we all have to learn , so thanks in advance , arron.
    I would only anneal cases that are obsolete, very difficult to find or costly and have had a lot of preperation carried out on them.
    For standard easy to source brass, just bin it and buy more.

Ian.

I anneal after five reloads, then bin it after the next five, although some brass is ready for the bin after the first five.

Easy enough to do the job yourself with a blow torch and a cordless drill.
    I do mine in a dimly lit garage so that I can see the brass glow before it gets too hot.

Lots of videos on UTube to show how it's done.

i never have but then my brass never gets that over used , i buy 2/300 and rotate 100 at a time until its used 4 more times and starts to come to its end then start new batch but norm by then iv prob sold the rifle anyway after 500 rounds, as 500 is years in a stalking rifles life as its not my job.

thanks for taking time to reply , cheers .

Hi Arron I fire mine three - five times and then anneal I use riflebrass refurb in derby about £20 100 posted.
    www.anglocustomrifle.co.uk
    Anglo deer management and training
    Yet another 7mm 08 user ..................... if Carlsberg made calibers.........................

Sending them off to get annealed is more expensive than chucking them in the bin and buying more once fired RWS brass!.

If I could do it myself then it would be worthwhile.
    There's room for all Gods creatures ........... right next to the mash and gravy

I only anneal the cases I use for BP. Those are annealed after five loadings, or if there is a lots of soot on the sides after firing, or when a known load suddenly goes bad. I usually lose cases use for smokeless before I have a chance to think about annealing it. I only reload because I cannot afford to shoot as I want otherwise, reloading is for me a necessity, not a recreational activity. I do have an 11 y/o son though and soon I will start training him to take the task ;<)

SS

I anneal after five reloads. Just use a blowtorch and stand the cases in a dish of water rotating on a 'lazy susan'. Each case takes about 14-15 seconds. Dry them off on the outside, let them stand to dry internally for a couple days, then ready to go again. No problemo. May not be too scientific but it works. ATB
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!