Just going to do it.

User00004

Well, I have pondered about it for long enough, I have a .243 and a .308, I don't need the 2, I feel that a single caliber/cartridge rifle will suit my needs. I'll load, lighter bullets for roe/fox etc and load up to 150's for Red/Sika.

I guess it will be a .270 I'll get. Will cover all my needs, moderated, so recoil won't be an issue.

Due to selling the 2 rifles, I think I'll splash out and get a Sako, stainless/synthetic. Although, it has to be said, I have been extremely happy with my T3 Lite stainless/synthetic in .243

Moving house in 2 weeks, so I'll start the ball rolling once I'm settled in.

Just need to aquire stalking ground again, hopefully some leases will be freed up come April.

Best of luck, I was eyeing a sako .270 in gt 885 screwcut and reproofed. In north wales as new, Have I got you thinking :lol:
All the best in the move, Jim

.270 is an excellent choice - which is why I made it too - but I'm increasingly of the opinion that 130gn bullets will do it all in that calibre for stalking.

Just run them slow for small deer and fast for big deer - using Hornady SPs, 47 grains of Varget will give you a nice soft (2700ish) load for the woods and 60 grains of H4831 will give you a galloping (3000+) load for the hill. Mind you, I use the latter load for everything and get very little meat damage, with everything pretty much dropping where it stands or at worst, running a yard or two until it realises it's dead.

I've got a stack of load data for .270 now as I load for mine and a couple of others, for a range of situations and bullet types, including a lethal load for a 90gn HP (great for turning foxes into Jackson Pollock copies) - just PM me when you get your rifle and you're welcome to it.

Adam.

My only concern with that idea is the changing of ammo. I tried it in one of my rifles once and the rezeroing and change of trajectory bothered me. The .270 sounds good, but I'd stick to 130s for everything.

Hi TJ
Good luck with the move are you going far?
Much the same as the other guys have said who favour the .270.
I have plenty of load data using H4350 for different built types through a Sako.
I have to say I was in a similar position tyo you with to many rifles and find I only use the one mostly.
The one I was going to move was the .243 but my son started to get keen and is making good use of it.
He is how ever starting to use the .270 and 30-06 with out any problem. And he is a short arse 13 year old and I have never really found the kick to be an issue even with out the mod.
I picked Tika 308 is on the hunt for a new calibre and a change with plenty of very good pros and cons but I have not used many other calibres at any length so cannot comment to much but the .270 will do everything in the uk but if your are going to travel overseas then you might consider keeping the .308 or changing to just a 30-06.
Just my two penny’s worth.
Hope a lease comes your way very soon.

Smithy

243 308 rifles

Dont do it unless you need to . you have the 243 for roe and foxes and the 308 for larger deer these obviously work . What if you are out and fall with no zero check simply take the other one out untill you can check your zero again I have no qualms over a 270 as i also have one as well as the others mentioned and with the right bullet powder charge you will kill your intended quarry no problems . Unless the monies burning a hole in your pocket i would not swap what you have now for any other caliber .You mention sako they might look nice and shiny in the shop but i can assure you after 25 years + they look **** but after having 2 re barreled and 3 still original they all shoot one hole groups with reloads . So i think i got my money worth out of them . If you fancy a 270 try one first there must be plenty round you . I cant see the point of 60 grains of powder when 40 to 45 in the other 2 will do the job fine all the best in your choice but dont spend if you dont have to just get a bit more confidence in what you have in the gun cabinet and you will be fine . muddy

I use a sako 85 stainless synthetic in .270 it's a superb rifle very accurate.I load 130gr prohunters and 59.5 grains of h4381sc it shoots 0.5 groups and doesn't smash things to peices.Ive got a .308,300,and 6.5 that haven't had look this season since i bought the sako .270.You will not be dissapionted with your new purchase it is a great rifle and a great calibre.
ATB SEAN

If it was me I would go for the 7-08 or stick with the .308. The 7-08 has better downrange energy than the .270. I think this comes into effect around 200 yards (I am now awaiting incoming :evil:) Less powder to burn and 25 to 30 % less recoil than a .308.

if it was me
i would sell just one rifle the .243 if you really hav to
then no need to buy another calibre, as the .308 can do everything you will ever need from a rifle in the UK and most places abroad
that way the money made from selling the .243
will pay for a bit more stalking till you manage to get some more of your own
but just owning 1 rifle can also hav it's downside too ;)
good luck with what ever you decide

TJ,

If you are going to have a few quid to spend why not spash out on something really nice like a Heym Sr30 straight pull bolt - yum yum!

you'll never want to use another rifle! and they knock spots off any sako! (tin hat on!)

I'm going to get a imac 2nd hand 7x64 SR20 soon cant wait! .308 wont get a look in...

Tom

stone said:
if it was me
i would sell just one rifle the .243 if you really hav to
then no need to buy another calibre, as the .308 can do everything you will ever need from a rifle in the UK and most places abroad
that way the money made from selling the .243
will pay for a bit more stalking till you manage to get some more of your own
but just owning 1 rifle can also hav it's downside too ;)
good luck with what ever you decide

+1 Stu

Sold my .243 and very happy with my .308

Does all six lovely with 123g Sako soft points

ATB

Terry

.280 rem would be slightly better IMO if you are reloading and should take you up to a cal more suitable for boar elk etc... used to shoot plenty of magpies out of the old macrocarpa tree on the farm from the kitchen window @ 300y with the .280 so it is pretty accurate too.

Stu,
As you already have a .308 stick with that with 150gn bullets for all species.
Slow enough not to do too much damage to a Munty and big enough to knock down anything else.
If the opportunity arises at a later date for Boar then put some 180 bullets through it.
Although I did see a guy on my last trip with the new stainless X Bolt in .270 and was quite impressed!! but not enough to swop my 30-06 :lol:

Seriously Stu - think hard before going down to one rifle! With two, you always have a backup if one has to go to the gunsmiths, you take a knock and need to rezero before you go out again, etc etc. With just one rifle, if it goes wrong all stalking has to stop until you can put it right.

I won't try to persuade you against going from a .308 to a .270 if you really must :rolleyes: :lol: That can of worms has been opened too many times on the site already!

Just go down to one what do you need two for get 6,5 It is recognised as the everything calibre i did it and i shoot three times a week but i will say this i know everything about my rifle its like a second skin. I had my rifle away there for a few days and just got my mates .222 put on mine for a few weeks no problems in Scotland with that. ;)

If poss keep two!! My s&b scope went on my 308( filled with condensation!!), so was able to use the 243. Otherwise a 3 day stalking trip would have been waisted....plus it took a bit of time to get the scope back.

I've got .308 and .270 amongst others and am a life-long fan of .270Win, but I don't know what the .270 will give you that the .308 won't already do. .270 is a super cartridge though and the rubbish about it being so loud and nasty on the shoulder is I believe just that. .308 without a moderator can be quite whippy in some rifles and with a decent moderator both cartridges can be really manageable. Also every time I've got rid of a decent .243 I've regretted it. But then I do a good bit of foxing as well.
Hey it's fun to shop around though!:D Gregor MacLeod's always got a good few .270s in the rack.

Well, I've done it, .243 sold .308 getting traded at the weekend hopefully, pending how busy I am getting ready to move.

I have not gone for my initial thought and only have one rifle, I am giong for a T3 Lite Stainless/Synthetic in .270 and a Browning A Bolt in 22-250, that way, I can still go for Roe IF the .270 is away for whatever reason, or broken.

Will I regret it? Who knows, but if I never do it, I 'll never know.

TJ

Hi TJ,
No you Wont, regret the .270
I suppose you will have to re-kit up for reloading now,
I have worked some nice .270 loads using H4350. even Seb likes them, not to much kick did you see the Sika hind he took.
H4350 47.2 grs, Nosler partition 150gr.

Wel done

Smithy

Back