Thread: Resident geese...

Resident geese...

A very nearby water supply has a resident goose population of some 200 geese and all breeds are present. Now the banks of the reservoir are absolutly thick with green goose droppings and the geese are ganging up on the many broods of ducklings and killing them. This being a drinking water supply should something not be done about these scumbag predators?
    Does anyone know if a licence need be obtained for out of season culling?

if you are allowed to shoot on their fill ya boots on the ones that are on the pest list and talk to your council/water co and try to get paid to clean them up a bit talk to the environment agency bods as well. links below for you RD

Scottish Natural Heritage - Home

Bird licences - preserving public health and safety or air safety

If wild birds are posing a threat to public health or safety or to air safety, and if there is no satisfactory alternative, then it may be possible to get a licence from Scottish Natural Heritage to permit certain actions that might otherwise constitute an offence.
    For some more common situations where birds may pose a risk to public health and safety General licences are available.
    Where the situation is not covered by a general licence it is possible for individuals to apply for licences using this form .

Exactly the same problem at my mates trout fishery. Not in such high numbers, but birds present all year round now.....

same for you mty:

Bird licences - general licences

General licences permit 'authorised persons' to carry out actions that would otherwise be illegal. They cover certain types of activity relating to birds, such as preserving public health or air safety, and preventing the spread of disease. General licences cover situations that are regarded as relatively commonplace and where there is unlikely to be any great conservation impact.
    General licences avoid the need for people to apply for individual licences for these specific circumstances. General licences are still subject to strict conditions, and abuse of them or failure to comply with the conditions could constitute an offence.
    General licences for 2014

We have now considered the feedback from our consultation on General Licences for 2014 and finalised these Licences. Read our response letter and view the full list of General Licences for 2014 below.
    Here are the responses to the 2014 General Licensing consultation.
    General licences valid between 1 January and 31 December 2014

General Licence 01/2014: To kill or take certain birds for the conservation of wild birds
    General Licence 02/2014: To kill or take certain birds for the prevention of serious damage to livestock, foodstuffs for livestock, crops, vegetables and fruit
    General Licence 03/2014: To kill or take certain birds for the preservation of public health, public safety and preventing the spread of disease

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    Exactly the same problem at my mates trout fishery. Not in such high numbers, but birds present all year round now.....

This is a standby public water supply and is rarely called upon and is owned by Scottish Water.
    I watche a flotilla of greylags pick off five ducklings that had got seperated from their parents.. Killed them all.
    Now where's my gun??

There are moves to add them to the GL

However most wildfowling clubs have been dead against it ( I wonder why) - They just don't see the problem they can cause!

Quote Originally Posted by scubadog View Post
    There are moves to add them to the GL

However most wildfowling clubs have been dead against it ( I wonder why) - They just don't see the problem they can cause!
    Wildfowlers absolutely detest the idea that several species of their beloved fowl can be shot anytime as pests.

Ian.

WTF guys! - Put your tar brushes away!

Not all wildfowlers are the same. Many clubs & individuals actually do believe (as I do) that when any animal or bird (individual or multiples thereof) is a pest it/they should be controlled & that is what we do, within the law of course.

Spouting off like you did above is likely to be picked up by the antis & used against all shooting. (Shooting y'self in the foot springs to mind).

Ian

I am a wildfowler also - however there have been a good few debates (always started by wildfowlers) on other forums and social sites where wildfowlers are "spouting off" it is that that will get picked up by the antis!

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    WTF guys! - Put your tar brushes away!

Not all wildfowlers are the same. Many clubs & individuals actually do believe (as I do) that when any animal or bird (individual or multiples thereof) is a pest it/they should be controlled & that is what we do, within the law of course.

Spouting off like you did above is likely to be picked up by the antis & used against all shooting. (Shooting y'self in the foot springs to mind).

Ian
    Yorric, you are an exception then my friend, all the wildfowlers i have met and spoken too have gone into a tizzy when i tell them that i shoot canadas out of season with a rifle.

Ian