243 Ackley feeding from AICS mags?

packrat

I'm about to have my 243 rebarreled and considering going the Ackley route.

I've read a fair bit around this and I'm aware of all the pros and cons and I don't want to stir up another 243-vs-Ackley fight, the only thing I really want to ask about is mag feed problems.

Does anyone here have an AICS mag fed 243 AI that feeds 100% reliably, and if so was it a lot of hassle to get it that way?

Would be interested to hear also from people who had hassle with the feed and gave up on it as a result.

I'll be stalking with it (among other things) so if it can't be made to feed 100% reliably (in my rifle) I'll be sticking with standard 243.

Which version of the 243 Ackley are you going for? There are two distinct styles - see towards the bottom of this page - 243 Win Cartridge Guide within AccurateShooter.com

I had a 243 Ackley and neck sized brass didn't feed as well as full length resized brass. In my 243 Ackley Improved, the shoulder-body section measured ~ .460″ dia. I have a die for sale - For Sale: 243 Ackley Hornady custom die for sale

I enjoyed the 243 Ackley experience, but I've now re-barrelled the rifle to 260 Rem. Please contact me if you need any more info.

Regards

JCS

.460" makes yours the Ackley then yes, not the Winchester? Might well be interested in your die then, if the feed issue can be nailed down.

Different Reamers, Different “Improveds”

One thing that you need to watch for is what version of the .243 Improved that you have. This depends, for the most part, on whose reamer you will be using for the chambering of your barrel. It is easy to determine if your .243 Improved is the .243 Ackley Improved, or the .243 Winchester Improved. If you have the .243 Ackley Improved, the shoulder-body section will measure .460″ dia. at this point. If you have the .243 Winchester Improved, the shoulder-body section will measure .455″ diameter at this point. Both cartridges have the 40-degree shoulder. I have used both versions and found that you can use any data developed for either version interchangeably.

.460" makes yours the Ackley then yes, not the Winchester? Might well be interested in your die then, if the feed issue can be nailed down.

Ok, but I'd only sell the die on the basis that you've sent me some fired brass to trial and the results are acceptable to you. I found feeding acceptable with full length resized brass and no issues with factory 243 ammunition.

Thanks JCS

I shoot everything with .243 AI and have aics mags in a third eye tactical bottom metal. I went for 2x5 shot mags as they single stack and have had no feeding issues. I'm not sure the 10 shot would be so hassle free as it is offset stacked so the bullets have to slide sideways as well as up. I use mine a lot every day and have had no issues with it at all.

I shoot everything with .243 AI and have aics mags in a third eye tactical bottom metal. I went for 2x5 shot mags as they single stack and have had no feeding issues. I'm not sure the 10 shot would be so hassle free as it is offset stacked so the bullets have to slide sideways as well as up. I use mine a lot every day and have had no issues with it at all.

Benc. Thanks, and do you neck size of full length resize? How do you like the TET bottom metal? Regards JCS

Cheers Benc, that sounds encouraging. I prefer the 5-shot anyway, which is handy :)

No worries, I full length resize, 243AI is the way to go in my opinion if you want to have one rifle to do everything, I went away from using different rifles for different species as they all came up differently and I wanted to be familiar with one setup-I haven't regretted it (although I have a .300win mag to cover me for pigs and as a spare rifle, same action scope mod etc). The mrs bought me the bottom metal and mags as a present, I get on with it well, I went for the one with the smaller mag release button as the other one looked a bit weak and like it would snag more. Good luck with it packrat hope you like it as much as I like mine.

No worries, I full length resize, 243AI is the way to go in my opinion if you want to have one rifle to do everything, I went away from using different rifles for different species as they all came up differently and I wanted to be familiar with one setup-I haven't regretted it (although I have a .300win mag to cover me for pigs and as a spare rifle, same action scope mod etc). The mrs bought me the bottom metal and mags as a present, I get on with it well, I went for the one with the smaller mag release button as the other one looked a bit weak and like it would snag more. Good luck with it packrat hope you like it as much as I like mine.

Benc. Sounds spot on to me. Thanks JCS

Back