Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .308 trim length

.308 trim length

Hi folks i'm about to start reloading for my .308 and was hoping somebody could let me know the correct trim length.
    Will be using 155gr A max over N140 and Varget,would be good to hear any tried and tested combinations..

Thanks in advance

Nell

im using 43grains of varget Norma brass cci primners,155 amax. 1/4 inch group at 100m from bench rest.

I reckon your,ll find a sweet spot around 44gr with 140

Buy a Lee trimmer assembly in .308. You'll never have to set an OAL again. It's automatic.~Muir

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Muir
    Buy a Lee trimmer assembly in .308. You'll never have to set an OAL again. It's automatic.~Muir

works for me 8)

Hey Nell
    2.015 is a general safe trim length for all .308 rifles but all rifle chambers are not the same in this regard and as such I can go longer than this in my chamber before the need to trim. Best to measure you own. The whole idea of reloading

Quote Originally Posted by Freerange View Post
    Hey Nell
    2.015 is a general safe trim length for all .308 rifles but all rifle chambers are not the same in this regard and as such I can go longer than this in my chamber before the need to trim. Best to measure you own. The whole idea of reloading
    Hmmm in that case the chamber of your rifle is badly reamed and out of spec....................... fairly common it seems in modern production .

Me I check the cases for length when I start to inspect after cleaning and sizing then trim if required. At no time do I allow cases to be longer than the specified maximum or why else have any specs at all?

Trim length is not normally relative to your chamber. It is the length that puts the cartridge under the SAAMI specified length. As long as it is under SAAMI and uniform, you will do fine. Years ago I accidentally trimmed 100, 7.5x55 cases .040" too short. I shot in military rifle matches with them and never noticed a lack of accuracy because they were too short. ~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Trim length is not normally relative to your chamber. It is the length that puts the cartridge under the SAAMI specified length. As long as it is under SAAMI and uniform, you will do fine. Years ago I accidentally trimmed 100, 7.5x55 cases .040" too short. I shot in military rifle matches with them and never noticed a lack of accuracy because they were too short. ~Muir
    Hate to say this old chap ................................ but SAAMI is not the only organisation who laid/lay down such specifications... CIP also do this and to my mind SAAMI are a damned problem when they suddenly decide to redesign a cartridge that has been about for many decades or even longer. Off the top of the ole noggin they have done so with the .280 AI, 6.5x55, 7x57 ................ changing pressure limits moving shoulders changing head diameters rather than make things safer they have created potential problems and mishaps waiting to happen.