Thread: Dry-firing

Dry-firing

Some views please...

I am a firm believer in regular training using different positions, in particular for unsupported shots, for the building of muscle memory. In an 'at home/garden' situation that doesn't include shooting any live bullets, for obvious reasons.
    My question to the Forum is about dry-firing, is is likely to damage the mechanism or is there no danger of that at all?
    The rifle btw is a Steyr Scout .308 so with the Steyr SBS (Safe Bolt System)
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

never been a problem in any centrefire rifle i've owned. wouldn't dryfire a rimfire or a shotgun though....
    callum ferguson builds my rifles, because he is the best and i'm worth it....

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    If you're worried about it do what I do - use a .308 snap cap

I am in Oslo today but back in the UK this evening, and will see if I have a spare. Are you coming to Bisley?

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post

I am in Oslo today but back in the UK this evening, and will see if I have a spare. Are you coming to Bisley?

willie_gunn
    That's definitely the best bet. There was a spate of firing pins breaking up in some target rifles which led to a potentially very dangerous situation i.e. you could set off a round as you closed the bolt. Whilst many firing pins will be absolutely fine, there doesn't seem much point taking the risk when snap-caps can be bought for very little cash for most calibres (or if you're kindly offered one by someone else). Alternatively you could even make one that would do by taking a fired case and reshaping a propelling pencil eraser to fit, slightly proud of the primer hole. If you do this though be VERY careful that you don't accidentally pick up the wrong case (as has happened to at least a couple of people I know at Bisley - firing before message one thinking it was a snap cap!).

Yes, if you are building your own snap caps, very carefully drill some holes in the side, so they can be seen from any view, and then polish off any exterior burrs so that they look and feel different when they are being handled.

Play safe and best wishes,

David.
    Last edited by Kalahari; 14-05-2014 at 10:47. Reason: Not enough detail.

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post

willie_gunn
    PM sent.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

Use snap caps, with a spring-loaded "primer" to absorb the impact.
    There are new ones, too, which flash a laser beam upon "firing", to show you your gun movement and follow through.
    More sophisticated ones for training on electronic targets capture all that movement on screen.

Some rifles, and especially shotguns, cannot tolerate a firing pin falling on an empty chamber, and will jam the pin into the hole, damaging it.