Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .17 Hornet

.17 Hornet

Owners opinions?

Dont buy the savage, pretty poor rifle. Mine wouldn't feed properly or eject. Not good at all. I got rid and got a 204 instead which is far better!

I have a CZ 527 with varmint barrel in 17 hornet and love it. Much more gun than a HMR, accurate and fun. No recoil so watch your shot. Quiet with a mod on, Fine on foxes up to 160m so far. Longest rabbit 260m. Wont suit everyone, but for my situation it is perfect. My requirements were for a walkabout rifle for use up to 300m that was easy to moderate, accurate and reloadable. Should be fox capable but bulk of use on rabbit and corvids. Havent used it in a lot of wind yet to comment on that, but with a bit of wind it seems fine and relatively insensitive.

Cheers, sounds like just the job. I'm looking for just what you describe, mainly for corvids and white hares where the 22CFs and above are just a bit heavy/expensive, but the 17Rfs/22RF are a bit light.

Quote Originally Posted by traveler View Post
    Cheers, sounds like just the job. I'm looking for just what you describe, mainly for corvids and white hares where the 22CFs and above are just a bit heavy/expensive, but the 17Rfs/22RF are a bit light.
    Have you considered a .17 rem? It will do all the above and more, with a hell of a lot more clout on foxes.

Quote Originally Posted by BWH View Post
    I have a CZ 527 with varmint barrel in 17 hornet and love it. Much more gun than a HMR, accurate and fun. No recoil so watch your shot. Quiet with a mod on, Fine on foxes up to 160m so far. Longest rabbit 260m. Wont suit everyone, but for my situation it is perfect. My requirements were for a walkabout rifle for use up to 300m that was easy to moderate, accurate and reloadable. Should be fox capable but bulk of use on rabbit and corvids. Havent used it in a lot of wind yet to comment on that, but with a bit of wind it seems fine and relatively insensitive.

whats the damage on rabbits much usful meat left ??

unless rabbits are headshot they get turned into pulp

I've had a Savage for over a year now and love it. May not be the prettiest rifle on the block, but boy it shoots straight and so far it has all I have asked of it.

I have a .204 and tripple 2 but wanted something light and washable to carry in the Gator on my rounds. It does what it says on the tin.

Not as bad as the .222 I had, but the same or slightly greater damage as a 17HMR I had.

just question for the guys that reload for their 17hornets how much does it cost you and what powder are you using