.17 Hornet

Dont buy the savage, pretty poor rifle. Mine wouldn't feed properly or eject. Not good at all. I got rid and got a 204 instead which is far better!

I have a CZ 527 with varmint barrel in 17 hornet and love it. Much more gun than a HMR, accurate and fun. No recoil so watch your shot. Quiet with a mod on, Fine on foxes up to 160m so far. Longest rabbit 260m. Wont suit everyone, but for my situation it is perfect. My requirements were for a walkabout rifle for use up to 300m that was easy to moderate, accurate and reloadable. Should be fox capable but bulk of use on rabbit and corvids. Havent used it in a lot of wind yet to comment on that, but with a bit of wind it seems fine and relatively insensitive.

Cheers, sounds like just the job. I'm looking for just what you describe, mainly for corvids and white hares where the 22CFs and above are just a bit heavy/expensive, but the 17Rfs/22RF are a bit light.

Cheers, sounds like just the job. I'm looking for just what you describe, mainly for corvids and white hares where the 22CFs and above are just a bit heavy/expensive, but the 17Rfs/22RF are a bit light.
Have you considered a .17 rem? It will do all the above and more, with a hell of a lot more clout on foxes.

I have a CZ 527 with varmint barrel in 17 hornet and love it. Much more gun than a HMR, accurate and fun. No recoil so watch your shot. Quiet with a mod on, Fine on foxes up to 160m so far. Longest rabbit 260m. Wont suit everyone, but for my situation it is perfect. My requirements were for a walkabout rifle for use up to 300m that was easy to moderate, accurate and reloadable. Should be fox capable but bulk of use on rabbit and corvids. Havent used it in a lot of wind yet to comment on that, but with a bit of wind it seems fine and relatively insensitive.

whats the damage on rabbits much usful meat left ??

I've had a Savage for over a year now and love it. May not be the prettiest rifle on the block, but boy it shoots straight and so far it has all I have asked of it.

I have a .204 and tripple 2 but wanted something light and washable to carry in the Gator on my rounds. It does what it says on the tin.

Not as bad as the .222 I had, but the same or slightly greater damage as a 17HMR I had.

just question for the guys that reload for their 17hornets how much does it cost you and what powder are you using

Quite happy with my Savage Model 25 although it needed some work with the chainsaw file and an updated trigger to rid myself of the *****-u-trigger they keep fitting.
Ammo all handload bar the first box of factory. I use PPU 22 Hornet cases and reform them plus some Hornady cases I bought before realising how poor they were and expensive CF the PPU. I use a fair few bullet types but Berger is my preference and it shoots the 20, 25 and 30grain well enough in target and hunting formats. Powder depends on the bullet weight but Lil'Gun, H4198 and H322 are the ones I use for the weights mentioned in that order. Note that Lil'Gun is very static prone and I suggest that if you use it you are very careful with loading as I believe that some overload issues may be attributable to the powder stacking up in one's powder measure and then upping the charge once in a while: the case is very small and the pressure quite high.
Mine's not for sale: must say something. Shoot's sub 1/2" groups at 100 yards with more or less anything but fiddle with the overall length to get the best results.

I have just picked up a ruger 77/22 stainless rebarrelled with a 17 hornet border barrel and I am hoping to get out early tomorrow to try it

only tried the 20's in mine..
vhit 120 cloverleaf groups all day!!
would like to try 25's though...
started the silage round here so mine will be in action in the very near future... bowled loads of black stuff over with it last year:)

Got the CZ with a Hardy .17 mod on it and it is superb other than the trigger which I intend to change at some point. Bruce Potts came to the same conclusion in his recent ST article on the rifle.

I see no need for a larger cartridge behind such a small bullet as I fear barrel life will be compromised and I find 20gr doing 3,600 fps is plenty for corvids and bunnies out to 300 yards. About to start reloading for it which will drastically reduce costs and reliance upon factory ammo.

If you get one, I doubt you will be disappointed.

Have just ordered the CZ 527 varmint and hardy mod. Can't wait. Have worked out reloading consumables at about 30p each. The main reasons for going for the Hornet over 17rem etc are:

1. Noise, the hornet I hear was quieter than my HMR this is very important to me.
2. I mainly want to shoot rabbits with it , my local police have real problems with CF for rabbits and vermin below foxes. They can just about accept this.
3. Cheaper to reload.
4. Less potential for barrel fowling and wear.
5. Decent sub grand gun off the shelf no need to go custom.

So please no more 'why don't you go for a 20 tac its better?'!

I'm surprised the hornady brass is not up for it the American article below recons that 10 reloads are possible with factory brass.

http://www.sportingshootermag.com.au/news/reloading-the-17-hornet

PS: Talking of CZ527 can anyone recommend mounts for a 56mm (30mm tube )scope?

George

Last edited:
...surprised the hornady brass is not up for it the American article below recons that 10 reloads are possible with factory brass.

Check out Saubier.com

I've not has "issues" with Hornady brass like many in the US have but it's (a) About £70 / hundred and (b) Not as robust or as well made as PPU.

All I do with the PPU 22 Hornet brass is debur the primer flash holes, neck size with a modified 204 Ruger to bring the neck down a tad, size in the 17 HH FL die, trim to max OAL and load with a moderate load of either H4198 or H322 and shoot. It's good enough for 200yard targets: paper or animate.

PPU 22 Hornet is about £22 / hundred.

Easy maths.

Check out Saubier.com

I've not has "issues" with Hornady brass like many in the US have but it's (a) About £70 / hundred and (b) Not as robust or as well made as PPU.

All I do with the PPU 22 Hornet brass is debur the primer flash holes, neck size with a modified 204 Ruger to bring the neck down a tad, size in the 17 HH FL die, trim to max OAL and load with a moderate load of either H4198 or H322 and shoot. It's good enough for 200yard targets: paper or animate.

PPU 22 Hornet is about £22 / hundred.

Easy maths.

I'm buying 200 Hornady 20g with the rifle so am hoping to use that brass so I shouldn't need to buy any brass, but your right £70/100 is steep.

What dies are you using? I think redding do a 3 die set as it would be nice to have a neck sizing die.

Last edited:
Back