Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stalking scope choice

Stalking scope choice

While i'm waiting for my FAC to come through, i try to do my homework and put down on the list all the stuff i need... I know what rifle i'm gonna get but with the scopes i'm stuck between Zeiss Conquest DL 3-12x50 and Swarovski Z3 4-12x50 , both of them fit in the budget...
    Any opinions please?
    Also is it the BRX reticle any good? For me looks a bit busy...

Thanks!

Just for stalking at normal ranges, IMHO and from experience, you won't do better than a good 8 x 56 with 30mm tube?

Nothing to fiddle with and get confused over when concentrating on the shot?

For longer range shooting could be a different story but have no experience there, sorry.

In your case I would recommend the "k.I.s.s" quote. 6x42 or 8x56 just concentrate on the shot.
    Tusker

I've been where you are and started with a 6x40, then moved to a 10x42 as I started shooting more foxes and wanted the extra mag for longer shots and now I'm in the market for a Zeiss 3-12x56 with ASV as I want to practice more on targets at distance along with shooting deer and Fox.

The above advice is good but nothing to stop you going down the variable route and leaving it on 8x for deer stalking as at least you have the options for when your shooting develops and don't have to buy a new scope?

Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    I've been where you are and started with a 6x40, then moved to a 10x42 as I started shooting more foxes and wanted the extra mag for longer shots and now I'm in the market for a Zeiss 3-12x56 with ASV as I want to practice more on targets at distance along with shooting deer and Fox.

The above advice is good but nothing to stop you going down the variable route and leaving it on 8x for deer stalking as at least you have the options for when your shooting develops and don't have to buy a new scope?

+1 as above, if your mainly stalking fixed mag is fine, but if your shooting a range of things then go for a vari mag

atb
    simon

Thanks for the imput so far guys. Maybe i didn't made myself clear, i would preffer opinions regarding the 2 scopes, rather than vari or fix debate.
    I'm from a military background i was and i do want to get involved again in long range target shooting, so i like to have options.

My humble opinion:
    12x is not going to buy you much over a fixed 10x, but 3-12x is a nice, usable range which covers a lot of hunting situations, in a lot of cartridges, from .22 LR to .300 WM.

If it is just deer and long range targets, you might consider two dedicated fixed power scopes, like a 6x42 and 16x or 24x.

If you are shooting at night, you need a thicker reticle or a lighted one. For targets in the daylight, you need a fine reticle. It is hard to get one scope to do everything.

Cheaper to get a fine, second hand 6x or 10x and see what you like and don't like, and maybe sell it for no loss, than to sink a bundle in a variable that is just as unsuitable to your needs.

I really liked my z3- it was a great scope and still is on a friends .17hmr. I liked the brx ret and made shots on crows out to 300 y with it on my .223. However, even with the ballistic turret model, there's not that much flexibility for long range target shooting and no parallax adjustment.
    I bought a bushnell tactical elite 6-24x50 instead and really like it but it's no stalking scope....

My stalking scope which swaps between my .243 and .308 is a Swaro 8x56

I'd look through both first and then consider ret options.

Of the two, my eyes got along much better with the Zeiss Conquest.

When I say much better I mean much better.

I admit to having very peculiar eyesight with some pretty exotic correction going on though, so that s no reflection on the Swarovski, but it does illustrate perfectly how different people get along with one product over another for no good reason other than their own eyesight anomalies and peculiarities.

Depending on what you consider longer range target shooting, I'd want something with parallax adjustment, probably an ultra-reliable zero lock option, and, depending on just how far out you intend pushing, more than 12x magnification.

For stalking I went with a 3-9x50 which is left on 7x until last light - turning the mag down to 3x allows a few more minutes where more usable light can be passed through to the eye.

I think you ought to figure out how important the longer range target side of things is to you and gear up accordingly with something that can fit that brief and double as a stalking scope.

Let's not forget that 200 - 300 yards is long range to some people, and clearly doesn't place as great a demand on scope requirements as double or more that range...

you wont go far wrong with a 8x56 s&b 30mm tube .