Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mauser M98 Sporteised

Mauser M98 Sporterised

I have a lovely sporter used Mauser 98 in 6.5x57. It has a double set trigger, which is so light that I would say it is set at about 2oz! The scope is an old Hensoldt with a German No 1 reticle. The barrel is made by Hammerli and it looks very clean. It is superbly accurate with a variety of different ammunition. I have yet to stalk with it but that will change this Summer.

I am am considering changing the scope because as bright as the optics are, I want to put a decent a more modern scope on it, such as a S&B 6x42. The claw mounts and base are the problem. My dealer in Zh doesn't want to do the work as he thinks the rifle should be left as is! Perhaps I should leave it alone but I think this rifle with a new scope would be the business. What kind of price should I expect to pay for removing the old mounting base and installing a weaver style base?

Some photos for your perusal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
    Last edited by Conor1; 15-05-2014 at 07:43.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    As you have the bases for claws on there already why don't you just buy a scope with a rail and get some dovetail claw mounts?
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

What scope would you recommend? My dealer told me that it would be impossible to find a suitable scope that would suit the mounting system.

I agree with Teyhan1. I would be a shame to remove a set of claw mounts for Weavers, Warne, Leupold, etc.

I have several old Mausers and a 1903A3 with claw mounts, and a combination gun with the smaller claw mount bases, to which I at some point want to add rings.

What is the make and model of your scope, and the tube and objective bell diameters?

There are modern scopes which will fit your rings.

There are rings which will fit your bases, and fit even more scopes, mainly 1 inch and 30mm tubes.

Recknaler makes all sorts of rings which fit the various claw bases. They also make little claws on blocks which fit the rails on scope tubes.

Since Zeiss is a big pusher of these new rail mounts, you should contact a Zeiss dealer who can measure your bases and try some of the many standard block & claw rail mounts to find a fit. These base and mounts are still so precision that the claw feet will still have to be honed for a perfect fit, by a skilled gunsmith.

Search for a recent thread on this which I started when I first joined this forum, where several of us discussed this.
    Last edited by Southern; 14-05-2014 at 21:21.

SD Regular
    The problem is that you have fifty or sixty year old optics. In their day they were the best available. But now they not even as good as the cheapest American optics. But that is no problem. You have a good set of claw bases. Adjustable claw MOUNTS are available from Recknagel and Apel.

It is simply a matter of getting a suitable modern 'scope. Say a Zeiss with a "36" diameter lens and then using the modern claw mounts on that having those adjusted and fitted to your existing claw bases on the rifle. So leave that Hensoldt 'scope with its mounts attached and do not try to remove those and fit them to a new replacment 'scope. That way is the wrong solution. Use a new set of claw mounts on your new 'scope.

The ONLY deciding factor is that if you want the new 'scope at the same height its lens the rear must be smaller or the same as that on your existing fitted 'scope.

The front base is dovetailed into the front receiver ring and means therefore you are stuck with claw mounts. Now that's that and over and done ;-)

get clawmount rings to fit your scope tube and you are in biznes, as long as the front objective bell is short, since otherwise you can't lift and pivot it out as the front would hit the barrel. That's the issue with receiver dovetailed claw mounts, the scope often needs to be mounted on the objective bell.

imho, get clawmount rings and a safari style scope like 1.2-6x24

I had exactly the same predicament as Conor1. Similar Mauser in 6.5x55(not particularly relevant) but with an old Hensoldt variable scope of similar antiquity as the rifle. Further the reticle was not self centring.

After some head scratching I decided to replace the scope with something more modern. I bought a Zeiss 6x42 of a bloke in Germany. That was the easy part,a fine scope and has helped me shooting my fair share over the last 10 years or so.

Then the fitting of the scope was required...... Several,no numerous,bits of einhack mounts were bought off Egun.de. In my innocence I presumed that they would be to some kind of standard such as Warne,Weaver etc which was all I had experience of at the time.

i now know that Recknagel and Akah make them to a standard. A bit of enquiring from a Norwegian and Swedish gunsmith led me to find out that back in the day the gunsmith bought blanks and cut them himself. Oh bugger in large capital letters.

a friend of mine in Oswestry does a bit of back room gun smithing more as a hobby than anything else had gone down the same road had the following advice when I asked him how to fit them.

Start with the pair of claw mounts you intend to fit and a set of jewellers files. When you have a small pile of filings on the bench and no more claw mounts pick up a fresh pair and start again !

So I did. It didn't end up with a small pile of filings but it took a lot of patience. The end result. Not a work of art but functions perfectly
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Keep an eye on this guy on ebay
    germansniper1 on eBay
    he sells a lot of stuff, often with claw mounts still on and he does post internationally.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

It would be a travesty to alter that rifle. Sell it and get something closer to what you want. JMHO~Muir

I tend to agree a harder route to fit a 6x42 with claw mounts but it will look better in the end and make you smile when you seem the simple and efficient system on your rifle that was hard and long work for a good smith.