Thread: economy sticks

economy sticks

I've been using quite happily a camera tripod that I made up a gun rest for on the top for rabbiting but it seems that I might have to give it back to the missus so ive been looking for a replacement, now call me tight( well I am from Yorkshire) and have seen some cheap sets on evil bay, I don't need anything flash as what ive been using has performed fine but just wondered what the downsides are of the cheap tat, they wont get hammered or used as a climbing or walking aid just a rimmy rested on top when needed. I have thought about making my own but for what a cheap set costs its not worth the effort unless you fine chaps can tell me otherwise.
    Thanks for any advice
    Adam

Adam....I made a set of these several years ago, and they work great for predator calling setups...You might think about knocking a set together...

http://varmintal.com/abifu.htm

Z

Regular Poster
    A search of the forum will show a few other types also

Monkey Sticks !!!!

The above is for DIY "quad" sticks

or perhaps look at the sticks made by limulus on here
    Last edited by Foss; 15-05-2014 at 05:10.

Quote Originally Posted by adam1 View Post
    I've been using quite happily a camera tripod that I made up a gun rest for on the top for rabbiting but it seems that I might have to give it back to the missus so ive been looking for a replacement, now call me tight( well I am from Yorkshire) and have seen some cheap sets on evil bay, I don't need anything flash as what ive been using has performed fine but just wondered what the downsides are of the cheap tat, they wont get hammered or used as a climbing or walking aid just a rimmy rested on top when needed. I have thought about making my own but for what a cheap set costs its not worth the effort unless you fine chaps can tell me otherwise.
    Thanks for any advice
    Adam
    The best economy sticks are called hazel and you can get them for free in most woodlands
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

My softwood quad sticks are 40.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    And very good they are too! very stable, lovelly and light to carry...

Thanks for the reply's, but it was specifically economy tripods I was asking about, as I got no feedback on them I just took the plunge on a set from evilbay, I must say the service from the company was excellent. Now I paid a grand total of 16 delivered and I was under no illusion that I was getting a quality product for that money, on opening them i was quite surprised and mildly amused to find them quite a fetching shade of metallic green, on extending the first leg I unwittingly over extended it past the mark and it took me a couple of moments to replace it but I got it sussed and then all's well. I've not used them in anger yet but I think they'll do what i want (but id not take them if i were out after that elusive trophy buck) and if not...well they aint skint me have they

Quote Originally Posted by adam1 View Post
    Thanks for any advice
    Adam
    Adam if you are interested you can view my home made tripod. Cost me 18 . I live in Barlby. PM me if interested

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    another vote for these sticks, really well detailed.

cheers rich but im ok with what ive got ta, if it fails me though i'll message you, thanks for the offer though.
    I've no doubt about the quality of the quad sticks, and may succumb if I cant get on with the tripod.
    Cheers
    Adam