Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FEO Visit

Talking FEO Visit

Hi All,

Got an FEO visit for grant of a shotgun certificate for my lad and its been so long since I have done it, (if I even had one for grant of my certificate I'm so old ) I cant remember what happens, so any pointers from people who have had an interview recently would be appreciated, not really for me but for the boy he is a little concerned its going to be an interrogation!!

Just for info its with the Staffordshire force.

Thanks

Ade

My shotgun cert has always been concurrent with my FAC so not sure about a visit purely for SGC. Depends how old your lad is. Whether you are responsible for supervising him when using the shotgun. There will be no need to justify the need for having one so although it may be asked it is not something that needs answering in any detail. I think for the most part it will be a visit to meet in person, make sure he/you don't come across as anything other than responsible citizens and to check you have suitable storage arrangements. I would use the opportunity to find out a bit about the FEO that represents you to the Licensing department, his involvement with shooting and what knowledge he has over a coffee and a biscuit.

Regular Poster
    Mine was fairly straight forward, Just had a quick chat over a coffee about what I wanted it for and to check the cabinet. If you are a regular at a clay ground it's worth mentioning as it saves him from having to go through a long and tedious Q&A about safety procedures, e.g maximum dangerous distances, only close gun in the stand etc. they seem to visit under the assumption that you are an absolute novice who has only shot 1 round of clays at a corporate event or a gamefair so making it clear that you are a regular shot saves time and can't do any harm. Otherwise, standard of the locks on external doors came up as did the burglar alarm as well as where I intended to store the keys to the cabinet, just general security questions. Didn't really talk about me much at all, as everything they need to know is on the forms, so just be polite and all will be well. Helps that my FEO shoots at the same clay ground as I do so we just spent 15mins complaining about how hard the stands are and the prices and then he left. this is West Mercia btw. Nothing to concern yourself over. if your son is under 18 he will probably want to have a chat with you as well, but I have no experience with that. Hope this helps and bear in mind whilst not all FEO's are well informed, almost all are nice chaps/chappesses

Quote Originally Posted by adbirdy View Post
    Hi All,

Got an FEO visit for grant of a shotgun certificate for my lad and its been so long since I have done it, (if I even had one for grant of my certificate I'm so old ) I cant remember what happens, so any pointers from people who have had an interview recently would be appreciated, not really for me but for the boy he is a little concerned its going to be an interrogation!!

Just for info its with the Staffordshire force.

Thanks

Ade
    Make sure he can recite all the main gun-safety rules, have a list at hand with all his shooting experience, offer tea and a biscuit, and you'll be fine.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    as well as where I intended to store the keys
    Not sure I'd be comfortable giving out that information?

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    Not sure I'd be comfortable giving out that information?
    Very wise. Discussions about the keys are best avoided.

atb Tim

Regular Poster
    Maybe. It wasn't so much "Where will you store your keys?" as "Are you aware of the laws involving key storage and who should have access to them?" No specific location was mentioned only who should have access and some general examples, e.g personal safe attached to wall etc.

Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    Very wise. Discussions about the keys are best avoided.

atb Tim
    yer agree the answer to that is that there is no safe place to store keys without a "what if?" question propping up never mention keys lol law just asks for the cabinet to be safe and secure and that only authorised personnel access it.

I remember a story of a guy losing his guns (not sure if he ever got them back), one say the copper came round for an inspection and he was out , his mrs said that its ok I know where the spare keys are , Copper said that will do nicely opened cabinet went in and took everything from the cabinet (not sure if that last part was true about them taking everything from the cainet) ..

So best not saying anything about ze keys seemple :

Quote Originally Posted by Tulloch View Post
    yer agree the answer to that is that there is no safe place to store keys without a "what if?" question propping up never mention keys lol law just asks for the cabinet to be safe and secure and that only authorised personnel access it.

I remember a story of a guy losing his guns (not sure if he ever got them back), one say the copper came round for an inspection and he was out , his mrs said that its ok I know where the spare keys are , Copper said that will do nicely opened cabinet went in and took everything from the cabinet (not sure if that last part was true about them taking everything from the cainet) ..

So best not saying anything about ze keys seemple :
    If true that sounds pretty unreasonable. The police have the authority to exercise their own judgement and lets face it, our nearest and dearest probably know where our keys are despite us not telling them. If the police had reason to knock the door in the first place then maybe there was more to the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    If true that sounds pretty unreasonable. The police have the authority to exercise their own judgement and lets face it, our nearest and dearest probably know where our keys are despite us not telling them. If the police had reason to knock the door in the first place then maybe there was more to the story.
    Page 167 of this. A solicitor by the name of Farrer, it was his elderly mother.

I would guess you will need two cabinets if you keep rifles as well. My SGC interview for first application four year ago was just a chat, cabinet check and an accidently on purpose view of a picture of a twit that had shot himslf in the foot, very messy!

Good luck to your lad.