Advice and thoughts please,

Hi lads, I'm thinking of buying a bsa cf2 stutzen in 243, I know a lot of places now will not allow stalking, without a moderator, so I was thinking of taking the snabel tip from the stutzen stock, removing a 11/2" from the stock and replacing the snabel tip, I would then screw cut the barrel and fit a small moderator, if anybody could tell me what mod to fit and if my plan is feasible, thanks tim,

No doubt it could be done, what effect these changes might have on accuracy is unpredictable.

In reality, you may end up spending nearly as much as the rifle is worth on these alterations, the effect of which is to probably render the rifle nearly worthless.

I wouldn't consider it at all. If you need a modded rifle, buy a conventional sporter.....

No doubt it could be done, what effect these changes might have on accuracy is unpredictable.

In reality, you may end up spending nearly as much as the rifle is worth on these alterations, the effect of which is to probably render the rifle nearly worthless.

I wouldn't consider it at all. If you need a modded rifle, buy a conventional sporter.....

+1

The way I look at it is, you're buying a Stutzen because it's a Stutzen, no point if you intend to cut and shut it really.

+2

I would think that would be a sure way of trashing a perfectly good rifle! Well, a Stutzen anyway.:rolleyes:
For what it would cost, and the risk involved, you would be far better to buy something that is already screwcut and moderated.
Even if it worked, it would look pretty stupid. I suspect you would ruin the whole rifle and end up out of pocket.
MS
I just did a Google search 'images' looking for a moderated Stutzen and there isn't any which probably tells a story as i suspect it has been tried.

I am pretty sure you will ruin it, i use a bsa stutzen and the sling stud runs through the stock and is fixed onto barrel the rose tip at front has pressure on the barrel so i would think it would really mess up the rifle,i am sure brit will be along to add to this, leave as is and use it as it was ment to be, atb wayne

Hi lads, I'm not bothered about the cost involved, I do like the look of the stutzen, it would be my rifle and I would shoot it, with a small slim moderator fitted I don't think it would compromise the look of the rifle to much,

Hi lads, I'm not bothered about the cost involved, I do like the look of the stutzen, it would be my rifle and I would shoot it, with a small slim moderator fitted I don't think it would compromise the look of the rifle to much,

This makes not sense at all. Did you actually read and think about what you just posted?

If you like the look of the "Stutzen" than how can you seriously consider mutilating it?

The only way that one could possibly fit a mod without mutilating the stock would be an internal thread and I am not certain this could be done safely. Also adding a mod which increases the length of the rifle goes totally against the whole etos of the "Stutzen" which was made shorter and more compact for woodland use.

However from you replies it's clear you have already made up your mind to mutilate the rifle :rolleyes: ............................. it's your money waste it as you wish.

Don't do it, Man, when you buy a Stutzen, you're committing to uphold certain aesthetic standards in the face of the rising tide of plastic and excessive moderation, and you accept the limitations that come with that approach. You have to become at one with Mr Crabtree, if he ever went stalking. You can't go and wreck the thing by damaging the stock and making it look rubbish.

Also technically, one of the main attractions of these rifles is the fast handling and inherent pointability. You're going to lose that if you stick a mod on it.

Hi tim,you've had a go on my 270 stuzen,you are of course welcome to try my tika t3 243 with and without moderator to see exactly what your letting yourself in for.

I have seen 1 moderated stuzen before,in the midland game fair two years ago,which had a t8 moderator fitted but you'll run the risk of ruining something unique,which is why your'e buying the stuzen in the first place.

View attachment 42267

In that case, proceed at your leisure.

Be sure and post photo's of the outcome.....

Hi tim,you've had a go on my 270 stuzen,you are of course welcome to try my tika t3 243 with and without moderator to see exactly what your letting yourself in for.

I have seen 1 moderated stuzen before,in the midland game fair two years ago,which had a t8 moderator fitted but you'll run the risk of ruining something unique,which is why your'e buying the stuzen in the first place.

View attachment 42267

Absolutely!!
gelert - What kind of rifle is yours, and what sling is that on your rifle? Does it just quietly unsnap at the bottom "Y"?

I shoot a .270 Steyr M Stutzen, and really love its handling. I have Warne bases and QD rings, so the scope is secondary. With the naked iron sights, it is light to carry.

To add a can on the muzzle would be like carrying m .300 H&H rifle.

Absolutely!!
gelert - What kind of rifle is yours, and what sling is that on your rifle? Does it just quietly unsnap at the bottom "Y"?

I shoot a .270 Steyr M Stutzen, and really love its handling. I have Warne bases and QD rings, so the scope is secondary. With the naked iron sights, it is light to carry.

To add a can on the muzzle would be like carrying m .300 H&H rifle.

bsa cf2 270,single trigger although Id like the double set triggers maybe at some point.The sling is a ninglenogh backpack type sling,and you are correct it has the quick/quiet clip for swinging off the shoulder.
Its unbelievably light to carry,and surprisingly very accurate with my home loads.
The only modifications is that the en barrel cap that sits/fits at the forward sling stud hs been removed,and it has been bedded making it free floating barrel.

i have done exactly what your saying to a cf2 stutzen and i should be raped by a pack of wild badgers for what i did, the foreend will also not fit as the stock gets wider as it travels along the barrel dont do it, fore the love of stutzens dont do it

Don't do it, Man, when you buy a Stutzen, you're committing to uphold certain aesthetic standards in the face of the rising tide of plastic and excessive moderation, and you accept the limitations that come with that approach. You have to become at one with Mr Crabtree, if he ever went stalking. You can't go and wreck the thing by damaging the stock and making it look rubbish.

Also technically, one of the main attractions of these rifles is the fast handling and inherent pointability. You're going to lose that if you stick a mod on it.

X2 , I'd definitely start out with a " standard " sporter if I were going to put a moderator on it ,IMHO

AB

Thanks lads, for the replies, will take note on what all have said, it was that I really like these stutzens, and with people telling me you need a moderator rifle to go on most places, it was just my thought to see if I could fit a moderator, I must confess I feel like a naughty school boy now with some of the comments, ha, thanks again for the replies, tim

Back