Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much to....and how much can i.....

How much to....and how much can i.....

...shorten my barrel?

I have a Styer PH2 with a 23 inch barrel....thinking of having it shortened to a 20inch (like the mountain version). It appears that it may be possible to shorten it to 18 inch, its a 6.5x55.

I have spoken to a couple of people who have done this and recently had a handle of one which has been shortened. It feels like a better balance with the mod and, as i have a PES muzzle can on it, it will make it a little more manageable length wise.

I know a few people on here have also had this done and just wondered how much i should expect to pay if i were to go ahead.

I just want the expected cost of haveing it shortened, re-crowned & threaded. Not interested about having it re-proofed as i have no intention of selling it any time soon. And i already have a mod.

Does anybody know if shortening it to 18inchs will be too short i.e. will it still stabilise the round etc. I don't know the twist on the barrell at the moment because my work pc blocks the styer website "CATAGORY WEAPONS" (pet annoyance of mine). I expect i will only shoot out to a maximum of 300m on a range, much less at deer.

Any ideas??

Cheers

jim

No probs chap pop over to Nottingham I will stick it in the vice an lop it down with my angle grinder no charge

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle69
    No probs chap pop over to Nottingham I will stick it in the vice an lop it down with my angle grinder no charge

Well, if i knew it was that simple i'd do it on my chop saw 8)

......doesn't slove the threading issue though

Jim, Steve Kershaw did this for me to a Steyr a few years ago and fitted a PES. I think it cost 125. But it was done properly!

Hi Jim

My Pro Hunter - Barrel length 18"

Machined to take a Jet Z compact...

Sorry i cant help with the cost as the RFD i bought this from had it cut, machined and re-crowned for free when i swapped mods..

If your near Poole and want it done by a professional engineer i can pm you his number to find out the costs..

ATB

Terry

Nice rifle Terry. Love my Jet Z Compact. best thing getting rid of my T8 rust bucket on the .243.

Rhino Rifles did a great barrel and threading job for me. Best to get a riflesmith that is well regarded. Seen some shocking threading jobs.

Not forgetting gents surely it will need to be re-proofed?

Quote Originally Posted by pheasant sniper 1
    Hi Jim

My Pro Hunter - Barrel length 18"

Machined to take a Jet Z compact...

Sorry i cant help with the cost as the RFD i bought this from had it cut, machined and re-crowned for free when i swapped mods..

If your near Poole and want it done by a professional engineer i can pm you his number to find out the costs..

ATB

Terry
    Terry...

Thats interesting...i wasn't aware that the PH2 was suitable for chopping any shorter than 20 inch....something to do with the twist of the rifleing .

BUT, having seen/heard about the number of deer you have taken with yours i guess there are no problems. 8)

OR is it calibre dependant? Mine is in 6.5x55

In all seriousness i would prefer an 18 inch barrel (just wasn't sure it could go any further) but wouldn't want to be so short that the bullets wouldn't stabilize. If you could PM me your RFD's number it would be appreciated, i'm not that far from poole (an hour or so).

Cheers

Jim

Hi Jim

I shoot it out to 400m on a local military range

Tho would suggest you take advice on your 6.5 because the points you make are very valid

Number sent mate

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo
    Not forgetting gents surely it will need to be re-proofed?
    Only if you intend to sell it which i don't.