Northstar Moderator.

Moonraker68

Finally got my Tikka M595 back after being screwcut, and have put a Northstar on it. Never had a moderator before, so any advice on the cleaning regime would be appreciated. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but hope it will make a big difference...7mm-08 isn't as fierce as some, but there was quite a bit of muzzle flip and a fair old bang!

I have a Northstar, they come with cleaning instructions along the line of, shake out bits, spray with WD40 job done!
regards

Thanks, gents. Didn't get any instructions wth mine, but was told to suirt with WD40 after every 50 rounds....which could be upto 6 months for me. Does the oily residue tend to cause the first few shots to be flyers?

Have'nt squirted mine with anything for ages maybe I'll give it a birthday treat and squirt some VP90 into it. :D

Moonraker68 said:
Thanks, gents. Didn't get any instructions wth mine, but was told to suirt with WD40 after every 50 rounds....which could be upto 6 months for me. Does the oily residue tend to cause the first few shots to be flyers?

I don't get flyers, but unless I dry it really well after squirting I get a cloud of blue/grey smoke.

So I squirt and shake well with WD40, shake out most of liquid then dry on a (warm) radiator overnight.

ft

moderators

hi flytie when i have used the rifle i squirt the mod with wd 40 and stand it on end and leave to dry never haveany smoke probs
atb tom

Re: moderators

tom reveley said:
hi flytie when i have used the rifle i squirt the mod with wd 40 and stand it on end and leave to dry never haveany smoke probs
atb tom
:oops: Perhaps I'm overdoing the WD40 :oops:

ft

Does anyone know where I can get a neoprene sleeve for a Northstar? The ones I've seen are all too small, so it might have to be a bit of inner tube if all else fails.

Moonraker68 said:
Does anyone know where I can get a neoprene sleeve for a Northstar? The ones I've seen are all too small, so it might have to be a bit of inner tube if all else fails.

Would the T8 neoprene sleeve not fit it? I thought the Northstar was smaller than the T8?

They are very stretchy.

ft

Moonraker68 said:

I think I know an answer to this one. I've just had a Northstar put on my .308; T8 covers are far too big.

I can take no credit for the idea, though: I read it on here: http://www.scottcountry.co.uk/products_detail.asp?productID=1619

In summary, my experience is if you get a 'realtree' camo neoprene cover designed for the barrels of a double 12bore, it will, if cut, make two tight-fitting covers for a Northstar (and presumably also for the on-the-end ASE mods).

It is a close fit, and you need to turn it inside-out, turn about 1" of it back into itself and pull that over the end (I start it on the thick end of the mod, making sure the seam is not in the line of sight). It then rolls on without too much bother (after a little practice).

Once you've cut it in half, you'll need to sew round the end of the stitching, to lock it again.

Robin said:
Got mine from Bushwear.
Trim three inches off the end job done.
Simples :lol:

Ah yes, but with this method, you get a moderator cover and a piece of waste neoprene.

With my method, you get two moderator covers! :arrow: :) :)

Northstar in scope

Moonraker hope you dont mind me asking the guys that have replied and you this quistion,

I have just bought a sako 85 with a ASE Northstar fitted and when i look through my Z6i scope i can see it at the bottom. Is this normal?
And if i fitted the high basses and rings the rifle will not sit right on my cheek to be comfortable to look through the scope?
What are yours like?
Tayfix.

Back