Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to take good FAC and SGC photos

Regular Poster

How to take good FAC and SGC photos

Has anyone come up with a way to NOT look like a complete basket case on an FAC pic yet? i thought it was just me but I saw my friends one yesterday and his is, if anything worse! I think it's the whole 'Don't smile, that's not allowed, but make sure you still look cheerful, trustworthy and responsible' that goes through your head in the booth, but my girlfriend took one look at my new cert and loudly proclaimed "Jesus, and they still granted your certificate?? You look like a complete perv!" much to my fathers amusement...

Sadly in the same boat! I look like a thug too.

I take mine myself holding up either the telephone or the camera a few times till I get the framing right. Trouble is when the camera is at arms length you need a wide angle focal length to get your ears in but that makes your nose huge.

The portrait photographers using 35mm format always favoured an 80mm lens for portraits, flattered the sitter by reducing the proboscis.

Maybe get you girlfriend to hold the camera next time, then at least she can't complain about the photographer.

Alan

Regular Poster
    May be a plan. I used one of those passport photo booths this time around, and now I'm stuck with it for 5 yrs. Ho hum.

Aye, I look like the prime suspect in a crimewatch reconstruction. I still marvel that I got a ticket instead of having my collar felt!
    Cheers Ted.

SACS Member. DSC 1.

The local photographic shop does mine for 8.

atb Tim

5.50 i've been charged... and i look oaky...

Wost thing about the booths is the pressure it puts you under. You get 3 goes, but it doesn't save them. So if the first one is cack and the second ok, do you risk going for the 3rd which has the potential to be either perfect OR shocking?!
    My passport and driving licence are excellent likenesses... just not of me!
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

I thought I had cracked it. I got an app on my iphone that allows you to choose a half decent photo that you have taken at your leisure, then edits and duplicates it however many times you want ready to print on your printer. What I didn't notice is some of the ink must have chipped on the photo I sent in with my renewal. Now apart from looking a bit gormless I also have what looks like a massive acne spot on my cheek.

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Has anyone come up with a way to NOT look like a complete basket case on an FAC pic yet? i thought it was just me but I saw my friends one yesterday and his is, if anything worse! I think it's the whole 'Don't smile, that's not allowed, but make sure you still look cheerful, trustworthy and responsible' that goes through your head in the booth, but my girlfriend took one look at my new cert and loudly proclaimed "Jesus, and they still granted your certificate?? You look like a complete perv!" much to my fathers amusement...

Only states 'passport sizes' though. So I'm sure a little bit of a smile would be ok ?
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

Regular Poster
    I think it just said 'passport style photo' on the forms and I wasn't willing to risk it. A smile may be acceptable though and would certainly improve the finished product. Thank god you only have to fish it out every so often so only police + RFD's are likely to see it..