Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use a home car diagnostic thingy?! ODB2??

Anyone use a home car diagnostic thingy?! ODB2??

My mrs car has just gone in for a diagnostic coz the engine light came on and I think it's around 40 quid, even though they do nowt other than plug the car in to get an engine fault code!

I've found some free software online and a USB cable to plug into the laptop. Is it really as simple as plugging one end into the car, the other USB end into the laptop, running the software on said laptop to get the fault codes from the car? Then punch the codes into google to get the fault?

If so I'm gonna buy a cable for the future just to get the codes in case it's an easy fix to mend meself.

Upshot is the Altea has codes for a faulty control fan and motorised manifold valve (which I've discovered is commonly known as a EGR valve) and I'm potentially looking at a 500 repair bill!!! Even though the car is running like a dream!!

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

it really is that simple - i got an obd2 off of ebay for 12. you plug it into the 12 pin slot wherever it may be on you car and it will tell you the code. It actually came with a book with almost all the codes in it so you dont even need to google it. Press the reset but and he presto the engine management light goes out - if its just been a wee fault somewhere everything is rosey but if a persistant problem the light will come back on and itll go into limp mode again but atleast when you take it to garage you can tell them whats wrong and save a bit of dosh.

I had egr problems with a diesel vectra - everytime it happened i just cleared it with the machine and away it went again for 6 months then if it popped up again i just cleared it again - i should maybe have taken it to garage for a clean or whatever they do to it but clearing fault seemed to do the trick for me anyway

Had EGR valve issue with my first Zafie but under warranty so no cost as garage footed the bill. Appears v common issue. Bit of a nerve to charge 50 to hook up a laptop and then say you will have to go to the main dealer as not sure what it relates too.

D

Egr valve. Buy the blocking kit, block it off, more power, better fuel consumption and the car would still meet uk exhaust emissions regs.
    Reset the fault code and as the sensor never sees any emissions again it won't go off.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Whilst talking about faults etc . . . If any of you have a Suzuki Jimmy. . . There is a common fault whereby under certain conditions if you stall the car the engine management light illuminates and won't go out.

Suzuki will charge you an hours labour to 'reset it'.
    Apparently there is a gremlin in the ECU in some cars depending on the year of build which causes this.

You can easily reset it yourself by disconnecting the negative battery terminal for a few minutes.

I have the torque app on the Android phone, brilliant, clears faults, gives readings on a lot of things, have a look

The Egr re-circulates the hot gasses out of the exhaust back into the air intake. Just does not make any logic!!
    They fit intercoolers to cool down the air then they do the opposite and stick hot dirty air back into the intake!!!! Looks like a quick fix for emissions but in a backward way!

If you can block them off... On the newer engines though most of the time it's not possible without throwing a load of error on the dash.
    UK Guy

+1 for the torque app and a 10 OBD2 reader off eBay.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    stratts

if you lived closed you could have borrowed mine bud.

19 of evilbay and works a treat,

as for the egr valve, i was looking at 800 for one on the saab but got it off cleaned it reset it and (touch wood) the car sailed through the mot a few months back and it running like a dream.

funny enough when i kept resetting it the time until the light came back on became shorter and shorter.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by UK Guy View Post
    The Egr re-circulates the hot gasses out of the exhaust back into the air intake. Just does not make any logic!!
    They fit intercoolers to cool down the air then they do the opposite and stick hot dirty air back into the intake!!!! Looks like a quick fix for emissions but in a backward way!

If you can block them off... On the newer engines though most of the time it's not possible without throwing a load of error on the dash.
    UK Guy
    quite correct. It was best described to me like eating your own ****!
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.