Lamp shy foxes

Mark23576

I have just got in from a lamping session but have not even seen a fox I know there are plenty about on the ground as I have see them every time I go in the evening before dark but it's very open ground with little cover. I saw a couple of rabbits but as soon as the lamp hit them they ran off. I presume the foxes are lamp shy and staying well away from the beam and ignoring the squeak as they have heard it all before.
Anyone got any tips on how to get them in range?

I have eave been looking at the electronic callers one I have seen is the icotec seems to get decent reviews has anyone used one?

I have just got in from a lamping session but have not even seen a fox I know there are plenty about on the ground as I have see them every time I go in the evening before dark but it's very open ground with little cover. I saw a couple of rabbits but as soon as the lamp hit them they ran off. I presume the foxes are lamp shy and staying well away from the beam and ignoring the squeak as they have heard it all before.
Anyone got any tips on how to get them in range?

I have eave been looking at the electronic callers one I have seen is the icotec seems to get decent reviews has anyone used one?

hi , keep trying , i often go 3-4 sessions without seeing a fox , and then can shoot up to 5 in a night .also ,if you are seeing them in the evening then maybe that is the best time to wait for them.if you do much foxing lampshy foxes that other people have missed will become quiet common , but then you will learn how to deal with them.

I think it is just how it is, I have been out and seen 3 or 4 who bolt off the second the lamp hits them and don't respond in any way at all to a squeak. Counter that with two Foxes in the first 5 minutes the other night who couldn't have given a crap about the lamp light, which both squeaked in and I had to shout at to stop before dropping them, same land, probably 2 of the same Foxes seen before, go figure.

As for Callers, I have had most of them, including the latest GC500, all ok, but 95% of all the Foxes I have squeaked in have been with the back of my hand or a Wam, so that's all I use now.

I'm no foxing expert, bores me to tears, but I do shoot them as and when the chance arises or when needed. The farm I shoot has a lot of ground nesting birds and the farmer has chickens so asked me to spend a bit more time on foxes......
went out with the lamp several times but with no joy or just fleeting glimpses, so, left the place for a month to settle, then went back out last evening intending to bag a deer...... Shot two foxes in one field in broad day light....
My advice would be change your tactics, try something out of your normal routine....

Out last night on hundreds of acres of cut grass saw 3 shot two but on two big fields blank, this am 6am saw 3 shot 2 on the two fields which were blank last night. Go figure.

D

I have been back this evening to shot some crows as the farmer is sick of them pecking lambs I shot 6 with 22 went back to farm to let them settle again had a brew with farmer then went back up field. I saw a fox in the same place I have seen it on my last 3 visits in daylight. Farmer is going to put some bait out for it tomorrow and I will go back tomorrow evening to see if it shows up again

You can always lie out an hour or so before dark and just wait, even if your ground is open, stay still and blend in as much as you can. Wear gloves and a face veil, they will spot white bits!!!

we had a very very lamp shy vixen so we baited her,

now if i told you what we use then i think you will be out there like we are from time to time with them,

but i will say this we use them all the time now and it was a combination of both myself and a shooting buddy, we both thought of it at the same time and boy does it work,

we have gone in a night before we plan to shoot and lay the bait, then go away and don't bother with them

then the next day we return at the same time this time we use the lamp and flash it all about and lay the bait, we may do this 2 or three times, and then we come in early one night and just lay a small amount of bait, we wait and then have a go,

seems to have worked on about 5 this year and im baiting tomorrow night monday night and then try and get the fox on tues/wednesday.

bob.

We had one a mate missed and it got really cute no matter filter colour or anything it was off as soon as it seen a lamp. I read somewhere about someone who was baiting an area and had planted some solar garden lights in the bait area. I baited the area with cat food around two solar lights for a few days to let the fox get used to the light. Result one dead old dog fox.

Mike

If the foxes are that lamp shy bait them up for a few days , try dragging some smelly road killor any fishy type bait etc on a cord in the field to give Charlie a scent trail to follow from where you think it will appeare up to the bait , zigzag it across the field some so Charlie will spend more time in the open . You can also try altering your times for lamping even try in daylight hrs. Try any calls that aren't normally used that the fox probably hasn't heard before.

Perseverance will pay off , one fox on a chicken farm I shoot took me over 3 months to bag ,baiting workes

Good luck

Squeaked one out the wood last night with the wham and shot it. Saw another later that buggered off when it saw the ir from 400 yards away !

You can try this,put two holes in a can of sardines,use one hole in a corner to hang the can from a branch in a spot that you can cover from your shooting position and a smaller hole in opp crn to allow the oil to drip onto the ground...great scent and a fox will come to lick the drips. You may need to use a couple of cans to get him.

Got one today at 3.30 this afternoon caught in the act killing a chicken it killed 7 yesterday, it still had feathers in its mouth when I picked it up.image.jpg
Heres a pic of it along with the chicken it killed it was only a small vixen

Back