Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quad sticks

Quad sticks

Anyone any tips on setting up there quad sticks to gain the proper line of sight,I'm shooting about 4inch low and to the left with mines and I know it's because I can't obtain proper line of sight when setting up I'm putting side force on my rifle and it's making my shooting shocking so until such times it's back to twin sticks for me.

Any tips anyone?

David

Quote Originally Posted by davidm View Post
    Anyone any tips on setting up there quad sticks to gain the proper line of sight,I'm shooting about 4inch low and to the left with mines and I know it's because I can't obtain proper line of sight when setting up I'm putting side force on my rifle and it's making my shooting shocking so until such times it's back to twin sticks for me.

Any tips anyone?

David
    Sounds a lot.

Have you tried practicing with the sticks on a smoothish surface (lawn) to get the hang of lifting one foot and pivoting on the other? Long grass and tussocks can mean you have to be very deliberate.

Have you tried shooting it with the sticks at rest so there is no side force just to check zero, barrel float etc? As regards barrel float where on the forend are you supporting it? Maybe come back a bit towards the action.

Good luck Alan

I use monkey sticks and the joints are all made from bungee cord lashings. This means that you can force them a little to get lateral adjustment (the sticks slide in the joints if forced). Then you can relax and so not be applying force when the shot,is taken. Not sure if this makes sense?

Monkey Sticks !!
    Last edited by palmer_mike; 17-05-2014 at 08:10. Reason: Link

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	211.1 KB 
ID:	42161

First photo is off bonnet of pickup at 100yrds 3 shots all on the cross on the paper excuse the ripped paper it was the first shot as I was using a round tree stump

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	246.8 KB 
ID:	42162

Second photo is another 3 shots off quad sticks as you see there's one centred and 2 way low and to the left, everything's fine with the rifle it's just me and the sticks I can seem to line them up properly with what I'm
    Aiming at (was on a forest road) and applying force to get the shot then making a mess of the shot only first time using them but it's put me off using them until a can get them set up and pointing where I would like to aim.

Sorry pictures are side ways need one turn clockwise and don't know how to do it.

David

david how is your rifle resting in the sticks, i was using min with the back part undr the pistol grip but then was shown to put the back rest behind the rear swivel screw and it is far better far more stable, atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Wayne I have mine set up like this on my sticks, is this right or wrong?

David

I see so do you suggest pulling the rear rest back behing the swivel screw?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Last edited by davidm; 17-05-2014 at 08:45.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidm View Post
    Wayne I have mine set up like this on my sticks, is this right or wrong?

David

I see so do you suggest pulling the rear rest back behing the swivel screw?
    David

I use a slightly different design of quad stick that has a cradle at the top of each set of sticks. That aside, your photo is exactly the same as how I position my rifle, with the bipod just ahead of the front cradle and the pistol grip just ahead of the rear cradle.

The cradle largely removes the need to re-position the sticks if the deer moves.

Given the significant POI shift, how are you gripping the front rest? It almost looks as though something you are doing is causing the stock to touch the barrel, changing the harmonics.

I don't consciously "grip" the stock when it's resting on the front cradle:

willie_gunn
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 17-05-2014 at 09:39.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

David the wider apart the sticks the more stable you will be, so behind the swivel screw
    would be better. I think you answered your own question in your first thread you are putting
    side force on the stock and probable making barrel touch the stock instead of being free floating.
    Quad sticks are very good but require practise to be efficient.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    David

One other thought - give it a try without the bipod. I don't like the way that quick release handle on the bipod is so close to the front sticks.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

David move your rear sticks back behind the rear sling swivel and try that, as others suggest dont put any pressure on the front end,atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports