What is it worth? Left handed McMillan stock for 590/595 Tikka

Haggis Hunter

Hi,

I have McMillan stock for my 590 Tikka potentially going spare, as I fancy going back to the original wooden stock now the rifle has had a rebarelled and been resprayed - I simply don't like the colour of the stock and can't be bothered to splash yet more cash getting it resprayed. The wooden stock was fine for 10+ years so back on it goes.

The McMillan is dark green/black 'swirls' in colour and inletted for a sporter profile barrel, although Steve Kershaw had inletted it a wee bit more for the first couple of inches where the barrel fits the action. This was to accomodate the slightly heavier part of a Lothar Walther 1400 profile barrel. I would expect a sporter profile barrel to fit in ok and not look daft. Apart from this it has not been bedded etc.

Jacksons are asking £500+ for similar new stocks. This one is in very good condition, I know they are relatively rare (it took me years to find one SH) so what would be a fair and reasonable SH price these days?

Cheers,

hh

I have one on my 590, left hand.
Cracking stock, cost me £440 3 or 4 years ago and took ages to come from McMillan.
I imagine prices will just keep going up.
A bargain for somebody.

May be worth putting the calibre on the ad.

Last edited:
Your post implies it was purchased second hand, so I would suggest what you paid for it, less 25% as its now third hand.

Suggest something in the order of £200

Have you considered just getting it cerakoted? Why do you think that would be a hassle or expensive? Look on jäger SA Facebook page for some examples. No limit except your imagination on what it can be finished in....

imo it wouldnt matter if the stock was 3rd or 4th hand. if its in very good condition its got to be worth £250 to £300 all day long. after all your not going to get one new at that price so its still great value for money.

i would keep it and get it coated

OP purchased stock 2nd hand - suggest at circa 250 - 300

Its now third hand.

Take another 25% off

Hence 200

I'd go further. I suspect that I've got more Tikka LH than maybe anyone on SD, but I would not entertain changing the factory stock which is about the best design around in a LH sporting rifle. By the Op's admission this was a flight of fancy, as he's reverting to the original wooden article. If there had been an advantage in reconfiguring then I'm sure he'd have said so, as he sounds an honest type.

If you look at the breadth and diversity of the current listing of aftermarket stocks from 'Jackson Rifles' there's only one bit of bling which fits this description @ £517 ...... and it ain't a MacMillan. The OP's has now been hogged out a bit to fit a fatter barrel so isn't original .... it's 4th hand now so £100 - £150.:(

I'm not sure that a fancy stock is ever worth more than the cost of the original rifle. The UK market for lefthand rifles is tiny compared to the demand, and what's available is only 1% of the whole. IMO the shooters who need such are buying them for sporting use & stalking as they're all that's around at a decent price.

The original retail of an entire M590 LH rifle was less than this JR stock list price. Mine are M595's of a later vintage, and a higher retail .... which is how I know.

http://www.jacksonrifles.com/inventory.htm

Alias ....

G-DS-M595 (LH)-GMC, GRS Decima Sporter, GRS, LH, Laminate, Green Mnt Camo, Tikka M595, LH, DBM, Vmt, Limb, ADJ, 2, Integ, 1, 517. m3a24-11, A3-5 Adj

Last edited:
I wouldn't expect a variation on the price for having 2 or 10 owners. In my opinion, second hand is second hand no matter how many owners and variations in price should be purely down to condition. I'd certainly pay a lot more for any equipment that has had 5 owners each taking exceptional care of it and hardly using it than for the same item with only 1 previous owner who has banged it around, dropped it a hundred times and used it every day. Realistically Nobody would know if the op bought it new or second hand (if he wanted to conceal the fact) and there is no way of knowing if the person he bought it from bought it new either. It pre-owned when he sells it so that will drop the price compared to new, but after that take the condition into account and pay what it's worth. Nobody buys a house and says it's had one more owner now so I'll only pay you 25% less than you bought it for!

Its no use to me, I'd have to learn how to be left handed; so for that reason, I'm out. But good luck selling it, I hope you get a good price. If it's as good condition as when you bought it, I'd aim to get back what you paid for it (provided the market price hasn't changed in the mean time).

Gez

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the debate.

As usual on here a good mix of views and all your thoughts will be taken into consideration.

hh

Haggis Hunter, Just read this thread. Well done on the sale clearly you and the buyer were both happy with the deal. McMillan make a fine stock but currently they claim the wait is now 6 months for one. They also stand behind their products so buyers have some back up with any issues. It may be worth noting that McMillan show a video clip on their website of a truck driving over one of their stocks placed on a curb. Following the test they claim the stock was functional.

Back