Blaser length and longer arms

KB1

Haven't had a chance to pick up a Blaser R8 but am told that due to the design and straight pull action the overall length of the rifle is shorter than a standard bolt action rifle. Being over 6 foot with slightly longer arms does this mean that a Blaser R8 would be a bad fit, with regards balance etc..?

Quite the reverse as far as I am concerned with an R93.

Being long and thin like you, I am very grateful for the lack of extended weight. Those riflemen who are as wide as they are high don't know how lucky they are! :)

Alan

Quite the reverse as far as I am concerned with an R93.

Being long and thin like you, I am very grateful for the lack of extended weight. Those riflemen who are as wide as they are high don't know how lucky they are! :)

Alan

so no issues with the shorter length?

Blaire,

The stock length is the same as other rifles. You just have the barrel "closer" for the same length. Doesn't impact on how you hold the rifle.

Stan

so no issues with the shorter length?

I have none.

The advantage is that it brings the weight into the middle, so for any given barrel length there is less "overhung" weight. Means they are very well balanced. They maintain that advantage relatively over a conventional action rifle if both types have similar moderators and bipods attached.

Alternatively you can think of it as having the advantages of a longer barrel with out any of the balance or weight disadvantages.

As far as fit or pull length go mine is standard and good for me. Would not take much to add a bit if you needed it though...

Alan

Last edited:
If the opinion of someone 6'2" with arms like an orang-utang has any bearing, I have never had a problem with either of my R93's.

When my .308 is stripped of its bipod and moderator, and with a 1.25-4x20 scope on top rather than the normal 3-12x50, the R93 is very "pointable" indeed.

willie_gunn

Last edited:
When I bought my first Blaser it was a 7mm RemMag in an original standard black Off-road stock and that came with a butt extension that was held by a screw into the end of one of the kick-stop recoil reducers inside the stock.

I've had another kick-stop that didn't have the threaded end cap of the first.

Never seen another of the extensions, ever.

cheers

Fizz
:cool:

Back