Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: peli case cutting

peli case cutting

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pc1700.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	400.1 KB 
ID:	42183Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0855.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	42184

i am about to start laying out my peli case for a trip to africa later this year and i was wondering if i should leave the bolt in the rifle or cut a separate pocket for it?

the rifle is a blaser r8.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by artschool View Post

i am about to start laying out my peli case for a trip to africa later this year and i was wondering if i should leave the bolt in the rifle or cut a separate pocket for it?

I don't think it really matters.

With my R93 (which is the second of your two photos) I cut a slot for it, but you could certainly leave it in if you prefer.

It's a shame you're not a bit nearer, as I have a hot wire cutter you'd be very welcome to borrow if you don't have access to one.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

I know Peli are probabley the best but I`d still carry the scope in hand luggage, there are antis within airports who would delight in dropping your case from a great height or running over it with a 747.

Cut a pocket for it. I've come across security that won't take a rifle with bolt in.
    I've even flown into Copenhagen with no check in luggage other than my Mauser MO3 rifle. No problems getting in, rifle on luggage carousel. Flying back out security insisted on bolt being in a separate item of check in luggage.

Stan

sorry for using your photo willie without knowing!!!

many thanks for the offer of the wire cutter. i have found a firm that cuts foam in birkenhead so i am going to template the rifle and parts tonight and get them to cut it.

Johno, thats good advice. i will definitely carry the scope in hand luggage.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    sorry for using your photo willie without knowing!!!

many thanks for the offer of the wire cutter. i have found a firm that cuts foam in birkenhead so i am going to template the rifle and parts tonight and get them to cut it.

Johno, thats good advice. i will definitely carry the scope in hand luggage.
    Not a problem at all - you'll find a thread here on the Site somewhere with more photos.

Definitely cut the templates and stick them to the foam once you've come up with a layout you're happy with. There are quite a few examples on the Internet. You may find it worthwhile having them cut an extra hole or two for things like the rifle sling, your favourite knife, etc. When I went to Croatia last year I included one of those small transparent boxes which contained my gun oil, pull-thru, Leatherman, allen keys, etc.

I never considered sticking the scope in hand luggage. In many ways I'd rather have it cossetted in foam and wrapped in its nice Peli case in the hold!

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

I work in Heathrow and firearms are not touched by the baggage handlers they are taken from the customs by security and handed straight to the loaders at the airplane and placed in the hold. You would also have problems at check in with a rifle scope in your hand baggage as i have found out myself. Although it makes no sense the check in staff are not clued up on firearms and will very likely consider the scope as a component part of a firearm. I am not saying this is right or logical but that is the way they think.

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    I don't think it really matters.

With my R93 (which is the second of your two photos) I cut a slot for it, but you could certainly leave it in if you prefer.

It's a shame you're not a bit nearer, as I have a hot wire cutter you'd be very welcome to borrow if you don't have access to one.

willie_gunn
    What size peli case is that in the photos?
    By three methods we may learn wisdom:
    First, by reflection, which is noblest;
    Second, by imitation, which is easiest;
    and third by experience, which is the bitterest

Name:	IMG_5519.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	42193
    so i have got this far. any comments on the layout?

is it worth waiting to get hold of a hot wire cutter or could i have a go with a long craft knife?