Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magic bullet?

Magic bullet?

Hi Guys,

Shot another munty yesterday morning from the high seat. I thought it was a good shot, but seemed to do loads of meat damage (happy dog!) and actually didn't kill it immediately which was a shame. I followed up immediately with a neck shot which did the job.. You can see the entry wound from the first shot (which I thought was acceptable in terms of placement? MAybe a bit far back?), but their were two exit wounds: 1. Out of it's guts on the other side 2. Out of it's haunch on the other side and this wound had quite a lot of lead shrapnel in it. I am sure the beast was as near as dammit completely broadside, but that would have meant the bullet having clipped a rib and doing about a 60 degree turn and fragmenting into bits. Is this possible? Does it happen much? I was using 105 grain gecos in my 243... Any thoughts appreciated..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2059.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	491.9 KB 
ID:	42194

Hu Mate i shoot berger 210vld hunting bullets ,and have seen bullets deviate a few times ,and it most commonly happens to me when the ogive of the bullet hits a rib on way in ,it alters bullet path.I once shot a deer at 300yds broad side on a clear fell standing 10yards from a wind blown tree root when a got to the deer it was shot perfect when i turned it over there was about a 2inch diameter hole in its head ,the bullet had expanded went through hit a stone come back and shot it in the head . The one thing you can be sure of is when that bullet leaves the barrel you have no control a what it will do

Have had two unusual shots with 308 150g soft points. One roe doe shot broadside on less than 100m away and bullet went in just behind the shoulder, hit a rib and came out through sternum. The other same entry shot again but when carcass was opened up the bullet had hit a rib and shotgunned there were small fragments throughout the carcass. Small exit wound.
    Just shows you are not in control after the trigger in pulled. Beware!

Strangest shot on a muntjac for me was one I shot at about 20m with 243 100 sp that didn't exit but exploded destroying all internal organs. Entry was good or the chest.

It happens and has happened to me. How close was it. I have had issues at close range when impact velocity is high. Most 243 100gn bullets are leaving the muzzle at close to 3000 fps.

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    It happens and has happened to me. How close was it. I have had issues at close range when impact velocity is high. Most 243 100gn bullets are leaving the muzzle at close to 3000 fps.
    Yeah it was about 25m. Thanks for the info. Sounds like it's just one of those things then.. Messy old Gralloch it was.

I had the same with .243 at close range on a munty a couple of weeks back. Entry looked all good, exit was a long way back after deflection.

There's not much leeway on a muntjac and that entry is only just forward of the diaphragm. It happens, as already said. You can only do what you can do.

I had similar last night mate near as dammit broadside shot from a highseat, decent entry but it came out literally half way along the body after passing through nigh on every organ and slicing the rumen open enough to make a right old messy gralloch!! .308 165gr PPU at about 55 yards and it still ran on a good 25 yards into cover!!

Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Cheers for sharing Stratts.
    Sounds just like mine!