Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First aid kits for dog.

Question First aid kits for dog.

Hey folks do you use or have a first aid kit for your dog? If so what kind.? And what do you think of it.

This time of the yr tape some antihistamine tablets to your dogs collar , just in case of an adder bite to the dog or you
    Last edited by griffshrek; 18-05-2014 at 08:47.

A friend of mine has a little pill holder, must be 0.5cm long and can literally get one or two pills in.
    That lives on his keychain and contains one anthistamine and one asparin.
    I believe the asparin is in case any human has a heart attack.
    The anithistamine is for the dog.

Other than that I would relie on the one thing I relie on in my first aid kit, that I have never seen in any bought kits.
    It is that stretchy sticky bandage vets use and people use on horses.
    Its fantastic stuff.
    There isn't much you cant fix with that stuff and its so easy to apply.
    You don't need to know the latest first aid procedure and how to properly apply a bandage, literally just wrap it up and it does the rest.
    Certainly enough to get you out of trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by scubadog View Post
    It is that stretchy sticky bandage vets use and people use on horses.
    Do you mean Hypafix? It is designed to hold dressings on but I have used it directly over the cut in the past.

If not Hypafix do you have a brand name?

Alan

Google vet bandage and its the first thing that appears.
    Usually bright colored stuff.
    It is meant to have a dressing underneath but I have solved many problems with it.
    After all the best thing you can do is compress most injuries.
    This stuff is stretchy when applied then contracts to hold everything together.

Made by 3M called vetrap, though others are available.

http://www.viovet.co.uk/3M_Vetrap_Ba...FbDJtAod1EsAGw

The bandages that stick to themselves (cohesive). Vetwrap was the original brand, but there are many copy versions now of equal quality and lower price.

A cheap white open weave (WOW) bandage to improvise a muzzle.

Curved scissors to clip hair from a wound.

Think of it as first aid - most of the stuff you can share between you and the dog.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

After my dog sliced both her shoulders over two consecutive weeks, I have added a skin stapler to my dogs First Aid kit. I know some vets might not approve, but in an emergency I'd rather get told off by my vet than lose my companion through blood loss. Other items are: Vetwrap (mentioned before) Zinc oxide tapeSmall bandageMedium bandageTweezersMultitoolSuperglueHibiscrub

I don't care especially if people want to use a skin stapler to staple clean small wounds that they have hair clipped away then properly cleaned.

A skin stapler is NEVER a means to stop bleeding. You MUST NEVER staple a dirty wound. If there is a large cut and it's bleeding get it to your vet for proper attention.

A stapler has insufficient strength over areas with high movement eg a shoulder.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    The bandages that stick to themselves (cohesive). Vetwrap was the original brand, but there are many copy versions now of equal quality and lower price.

A cheap white open weave (WOW) bandage to improvise a muzzle.

Curved scissors to clip hair from a wound.

Think of it as first aid - most of the stuff you can share between you and the dog.
    +1 to this my other half is a vet nurse and she put a kit together for me . she says the rules for a dog are the same as us nothing in and nothing out , just dress and go to see a pro
    when you stop learning you stop being challenged

Regarding the antihistamine tablets, I was talking to my vet the other week and he said that they are a bad thing to give the dog if it is bitten by an adder as it can cause their immune system to drop, he said its best just to drive it to the nearest vet ASAP as the tablet would take a long time to start working anyway.

Any of the more knowledgeable agree with the above?
    Jonathan

My Hunting Blog: click here