Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pitfalls of buying a used Scope

Pitfalls of buying a used Scope

Hello from Sunny Shropshire
    I have been considering buying another scope for my next rifle (hurry up West Mercia!)
    I was wondering what I need to take into consideration when buying a used scope?
    Obviously any history, it's age and any documentation available
    Any guarantee left?
    If buying remotely and from an internet advert ( it's located some distance away) how do I know it's not a fake or some sort of rip off?
    Request good photographs?
    It's a high quality scope and the asking price is over 1k
    Any other suggestions or warnings?
    Thanks
    Ed

Ed

If it's Steve (sussexfallow) or hillside (on here) bite their hands off, as they are both excellent guys to deal with. Anyone else, then I'm not sure. Macleods in Tain have a good selection of s/h kit and are excellent to deal with. I sold a second hand scope (~1k) last year on-line, but didn't enjoy the experience despite the purchaser being excellent to deal with.

As you suspect it can be a minefield which is why normally I restrict my optic deals to Gregor in Tain. It's hard to put a price on hassle and uncertainty, but at present my time's at a premium and I'm happy to pay a little more for a hassle free transaction.

Regards

JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 18-05-2014 at 09:44. Reason: clarification

Macleods in Tain have a good selection of s/h kit and are excellent to deal with.
    This, I have bought new and used from them, and sold to them, excellent service

Neil.

Gregor, @ Tain, Always had happy results from this source.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Ed,

A good way to test whether a scope is sealed properly is to put in in the fridge overnight. Take it out in the morning and look at in in a warm room. If the gas seals have gone it will fog up in the inside. If it's sound it will fog on the outside only.

Cheers,

Bob

+1 for Gregor, I have had a PMII and recently a Kahles from him and was treated well both times

I have purchased 6-7 used scopes of SD and never had a problem nearly all the guys on here are very good.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

If it's a private sale, as well as the obvious such as obtaining photos etc, try to get the serial number off the scope prior to buying, you should then be able to find out how old the scope is and if there is any remaining warranty from the manufacturer. From a dealer the same would apply but you should expect some sort of written warranty also.

I would be wary of spending a lot of money from a private seller on auction sites etc as it could turn out to be a bit of a risk... Of course there is always the possibility that you may also get a bargain too!

If you are buying a newer S/H scope from names such as S+B, Swaro or Kahles then you can always send them back to the factory for a service to put your mind at rest. More often than not they will do it for free so you are only paying the price of the postage. In my opinion this makes buying a used high end scope far less of a risk than buying one made by one of the lesser manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    If you are buying a newer S/H scope from names such as S+B, Swaro or Kahles then you can always send them back to the factory for a service to put your mind at rest. More often than not they will do it for free so you are only paying the price of the postage. In my opinion this makes buying a used high end scope far less of a risk than buying one made by one of the lesser manufacturers.
    +1 for that. I've bought 3 off the evil bay. Got some real bargains. Don't bother with any cheap China Korea stuff. This is what I got with prices inc postage.
    6-18 Nikon bush master 137.00
    6x 42 S&B Hungarian 200
    8x56 Swarovski 300
    watch out for a lot of leoupold copy's on the bay.