Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed on protecting a baby from Canadian mosquitos

Advice needed on protecting a baby from Canadian mosquitos

Hello everyone, and particularly members from North America!

In the second half of June, the Pine Marten clan, including Young Pine Marten who will be ten months old, are off to Québec and Ontario for two weeks, the second of whish will be spent by a lake in a sort of chalet, doing what the Canadians call "cottaging", which is very different from what that means in the UK. Anyway, I assume there will be plenty of mosquitos around, something YPM has never yet been exposed to. I'm planning on buying a mosquito net to put over his cot for a start. But I was also wondering what mosquito repellents and so on you'd recommend, especially for a baby? I'm not sure how different Canadian mosquitos are to their European brethren (three times as big, probably, same as all the other American incarnations of European animals...) and how they react to different products. I don't know whether June is the height fo mosquito season either.

Anyway, any advice and experience you may have to share on attempting to protect babies from Canadian mosquitos in the summer would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Congrats on planning for this mate, they come out with saddles on out there!

Be tough to protect a baby, only thing to do would be to source a good mozzie net. However, i expect you'd find better alternatives to that locally when you're there.
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

As above ask the local chemist when you get there, they will know the best repellant for the location

PineMarten...you will find there are several different brands of organic safe repellents available in the sporting sections of the Warehouse type department stores..walmart, K-mart, etc...that can be used on a baby.... Also you need to get a Thermacell and a supply of their pads and butane..they work and will be a life saver for your whole family.. I was on a trip in the Boundary Waters Canoe area last summer and the skeeters were the worst I had ever seen...but the 2 thermacells I had along cleared them out... check it out...they work...I do not camp or hunt with out mine!!

http://www.thermacell.com/mosquito-repellent

Z

Quote Originally Posted by zeeriverrat1 View Post
    PineMarten...you will find there are several different brands of organic safe repellents available in the sporting sections of the Warehouse type department stores..walmart, K-mart, etc...that can be used on a baby.... Also you need to get a Thermacell and a supply of their pads and butane..they work and will be a life saver for your whole family.. I was on a trip in the Boundary Waters Canoe area last summer and the skeeters were the worst I had ever seen...but the 2 thermacells I had along cleared them out... check it out...they work...I do not camp or hunt with out mine!!

http://www.thermacell.com/mosquito-repellent

Z
    Good advise , there a number of products available over the counter for small children and infants . Definitely use them . One thing to keep an eye on , my family comes out from England to visit me fairly regularly and about one quarter of them have a mild to severe allergic reaction to Mosquito , Black Fly and No-Seeum bites . I hope this wont be the case with your family , but keep some Benadryl or similar product with you .

June is about the peak of Mosquito and other biting insect activity throughout Canada and as zeeriverat1 points out , it can get intense . Just ask any of the locals what works , they will gladly help you out . Just make sure you ask in French when in Québec.

Have fun and enjoy your trip AB

Intense is right... I used to work in the BWCA on the portage crew when I was in college and after when I worked for the US Forest Service along the Canadian border... We dealt with a lot of bug..but last summer on that fishing trip was the worst I had ever experienced...without the thermacells we would have packed up our camp and headed home! Having them saved the trip and made it all worth while...

PM...Here are a few pics from my nearly ruined bug infested trip...

Camping isn't camping without fresh fish....

You will see some nice places on your trip no doubt!!

Hope you and the family have a safe and enjoyable trip...

Zee
    Last edited by zeeriverrat1; 18-05-2014 at 17:55.

we have one of these:
    LittleLife Arc 2 Travel Cot | GO Outdoors

It folds up pretty small and is ideal for putting outside during the day or if you are camping, midge proof.

That said its another thing to drag over there, I know what traveling with kids is like!

Can't help you in summer pm when I was living there last year it was -50 Xmas day! Lol I imagine it's beautiful in summer , have a great time atb Jim
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

Thanks very much everyone. I shall make sure that I score some of those Thermacell things and mosquito nets. Hopefully my Canadian friends will have some, but a little one for our bedroom would certainly be a winner. I've volunteered to trawl through all the outdoors shops in Montreal on behalf of the group. In this group there are two sets of baby twins in addition to YPM. It's going to be an interesting expedition. Thanks for the Benadryl/allergy tip too.

I'm also going to need one of those sort of rucksacks that babies and toddlers can sit in I think. I'm not sure that carrying 10kg of Young Pine Marten in a BabyBjorn for hours on end is viable, especially since he hates it after an hour or so.

You must be mad exposing your kid to that
    Leave it at home, or dont go, dont see your point in exposing you kid to it.

"score some of those Thermacell things" is that cockney rhiming speak

Cant wait to here how your trip / expedition went, good luck with the shooting
    Humans are pre wired with fight or flight response
    Great Grandad fought, Grandad fought.
    For the sake of my Grandchild I wish for Less Flight responses entering Europe