rub boiled linseed oil in
    wire wool
    linseed
    wire wool
    and repeat until finished

any comments ?

Changes etc

thanks

Fine, except don't use wire wool. Wire wool will leave steel fibres on your stock and, eventually, they will rust and give you rust marks on the wood. Better to use fine grade sandpaper if you feel the need for an abrasive.
    BTW, there's plenty of info on stock finishing out there on the 'net. You may find it interesting to do a search.
    I assume you will be using boiled linseed oil?.
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by PeteL View Post
    Fine, except don't use wire wool. Wire wool will leave steel fibres on your stock and, eventually, they will rust and give you rust marks on the wood. Better to use fine grade sandpaper if you feel the need for an abrasive.
    BTW, there's plenty of info on stock finishing out there on the 'net. You may find it interesting to do a search.
    I assume you will be using boiled linseed oil?.
    Peter
    Yes boiled oil. Just stripped it ready
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Fine grade sand paper seal the grain oil if it takes you less than a month you've rushed it

steam out the dings and dents with a wt tea towl and a hot iron
    dry for a while (depends on how wet you get it!)
    use grain filler, sand down to a smooth finish (600 to 1200 grit sand paper)
    (stain if you want at this point)

I don't like linseed, boiled or otherwise
    get a little bottle of philips walnut preparation and apply sparingly by hand (couple of drops, rub hard into wood until hands are very hot, keep rubbing)
    once a day for a week
    once a week for a month and then
    once a month

Bronze wire wool removes the rusting particle problem.

Its expensive but worth every penny in my opinion.

Lustersheen 2 Pad Pack Bronze Wool Grade Fine items in SteelWool-biz store on eBay!
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

Cheaper than bronze wool, just use Scotch-brite, I find the grey works well, with the white for non stick pans
    for rubbing the oil in.

Neil.

After washing off the paint stripper the grain will be raised. Allow to dry then "Bone" the wood. Boning is an old technique used to lay the fibres back down and give a smooth surface with a sheen. I used the round wood handle of a "Suds" brush. originally a Beef Rib bone would have been used. Rub the chosen implement briskly over the wood avoiding any chequering of course using pressure.

BTW a "Suds" brush is found in old engineering workshops and used to wipe swarfe away and apply "Suds" to the tools and work piece and is about 3/4" wide at the head.

Anytime you use sandpaper or wool, wipe the stock clean with a rosin-impregnated tack rag, to pick up all the particles.

Any rags used to apply stain, and especially using solvents or oil finishes, need to be hung outside to dry. If you wad them up and toss in a can, they can ignite spontaneously.

Most of the really controllable finishes, which cure faster and can be worked to whatever polish desired, are a mix of oils, just a bit of linseed, which never really hardens.

Modern varnishes, even the synthetic ones, and the polyurethane / varnish blends, will put on a nice finish, though too thick for some folks.
    Minwax makes some very durable finishes, which are tough enough for hardwood floors, if rubbed and sanded in several coats.
    Some of the furniture finishes, like Watco, are good, and very resistant to water.
    Pilkington's makes a nice finishing kit for firearms, with stains to bring out subtle grain.

As much work as you are going to put into it, and for years of use, you owe it to yourself to put your hands on some of these finishes and try them yourself on scraps of walnut, which have been prepared just as you would the stock.
    Last edited by Southern; 19-05-2014 at 17:41.

Thanks for all the comments