Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any one seen one of these?

Any one seen one of these?

Trying to work out if this is TB related or just a large Cyst? All 4 nodes in the head were fine.

Roe Buck around 3 years old.

Don't think this should go into the food chain, any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Carl.

Attachment 42232

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Worm cyst?
    Your going to have to isolate it and then incise it.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Agreed... Cut around the whole stucture and isolate it from any potential foodstuff first.

If the contents look like water and small grains of rice then tape worm cyst.

Any sign of external injury?... If not then cheesy puss filled abscess then you have to suspect TB...
    Last edited by csl; 18-05-2014 at 20:12.

Blog Entries
    Should also say that if it is a tapeworm cyst then food chain perfectly okay
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post
    Agreed... Cut around the whole stucture and isolate it from any potential foodstuff first.

If the contents look like water and small grains of rice then tape worm cyst.

Any sign of external injury?... If not then cheesy puss filled abscess then you have to suspect TB...
    Interesting you should say about injury. Looks to have had some trauma on the ribcage.

I've never come across TB in the flesh in my limited experience thank goodness but I've seen a fallow doe with similar abscess on a teet (not tb).

Tape worm cysts I've seen tend to be in larger muscle tissue but I don't know whether that is typical with deer... it certainly seems to be with rabbit, but Morena is viewing the thread I note so hopefully he'll put us right!!
    Last edited by csl; 18-05-2014 at 20:24.

Would this be ok for the food chain if I cut it out the ribs around it?

Quote Originally Posted by shooter79 View Post
    Would this be ok for the food chain if I cut it out the ribs around it?
    Try to ID it first

Cut it off the carcass before opening it up to minimise contamination
    If it's water with mini rice grains then it's tape worm - no problem
    If it cheesy puss then it's an abscess

If it's an abscess then you have to look further, has it had some kind of injury from outside (it's right on the rib cage, has it been cut, shot with air rifle, snagged on fence etc), what are all the lymph nodes like

If it was behaving 100% normal and all it's lymph nodes are 100% normal and all its organs are normal then it's likely a localised infection and a case of removing it from the carcass and noting it on your declaration...

Thanks for all your input lads. ��

After speaking to a fas meat inspector last week in great depth about Tb ,I can give you the advice he grave me when you cut in to it ,it should be like cuting into a sandy texture ,there is thread fallow with lumps that is a good example of TB ,that lump looks like it is water filled and dose not look like TB
    To me atb berg
    Last edited by berg; 24-05-2014 at 21:49.