Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Start to the Season

Good Start to the Season

Some of the better roe bucks we have taken so far in the 2014 season.

300g Net - 600g Net The biggest measuring CCA 170 Points.

Just as an example of how you can never tell what Roe Bucks weigh until they are on the scales.

Two bucks here were cca 500g and 600g, now if you help them together you would never believe the bigger one was only 600g if you knew the smaller one was 500g.

Enjoy.

Alex

Last edited by nielaj; 20-05-2014 at 17:36.

Mighty fine start I must say, a decent table of heads there.

George.

Wow. Out of curiosity, how large a chunk of land did all these come from?

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    It would be interesting to see those grouped by age range - a couple on there look like they were getting on in years!
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Will there be any left at that rate....?

Tim.243

Quote Originally Posted by Tim.243 View Post
    Will there be any left at that rate....?

Tim.243
    I think you will find Alex is only referring to the two heads recently taken. The other photo has been on the site before if I am not mistaken and refers to previous years stalking.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Mungo,

I am fortunate not only to have a fair amount of ground myself in Sussex but also deal with a couple of very reliable stalkers around the country. So it's hard to say how much but access to several 10,000's acres. Bucks in this photo are from Sussex / Oxfordshire / Gloucestershire / Wiltshire & Dorset.

WG

I'm not going to try and hide the fact that when dealing with clients there are always some middle aged bucks that get taken, that you would expect to get "better" in years to come, however when you have good numbers of bucks on your ground this isn't going to have a massive impact especially as most of the areas are actually under culled or with neighboring areas with no deer management.

However this year, we have shot several bucks (maybe more) that I would class as old bucks probably 7- 10 years. We shot 4 bucks in 48 hours that I think would all have fallen into this age range, all showed several signs of being very old bucks. Which was really pleasing, they are often hard to get and seem to have this sixth sense which always makes it extra rewarding when you manage to take a real old boy.

I will add some more pictures of individual bucks over the next few days so you can see some more detail.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc View Post
    I think you will find Alex is only referring to the two heads recently taken. The other photo has been on the site before if I am not mistaken and refers to previous years stalking.
    Well as it reads in the text "Some of the better roe bucks we have taken so far in the 2014 season."
    Some is not two..................!! So we will see!

Tim.243

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by nielaj View Post
    WG

I'm not going to try and hide the fact that when dealing with clients there are always some middle aged bucks that get taken, that you would expect to get "better" in years to come, however when you have good numbers of bucks on your ground this isn't going to have a massive impact especially as most of the areas are actually under culled or with neighboring areas with no deer management.

However this year, we have shot several bucks (maybe more) that I would class as old bucks probably 7- 10 years. We shot 4 bucks in 48 hours that I think would all have fallen into this age range, all showed several signs of being very old bucks. Which was really pleasing, they are often hard to get and seem to have this sixth sense which always makes it extra rewarding when you manage to take a real old boy.

I will add some more pictures of individual bucks over the next few days so you can see some more detail.

Alex
    Alex

That would be really interesting to see, thank you.

I also agree with you regarding the "practical cull plan" versus the "theoretical cull plan". In areas of higher (though not excessive) densities of deer, I think in reality it actually ends up being more a "cull guideline" than anything else, particularly if there are clients involved.

Thanks again for posting the photos.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim.243 View Post
    Well as it reads in the text "Some of the better roe bucks we have taken so far in the 2014 season."
    Some is not two..................!! So we will see!

Tim.243
    +1 on that
    got to say thats how i understood it this years so far ,so far meaning from aprill under that is a table with aload of heads ??
    Last edited by berg; 19-05-2014 at 08:16.